ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 565 guests, and 35 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Well Lee County passed it and FPL is going to juice them up.

It was a heluva pull. It turned out they had #2 copper SER and 110' of 1 1/4" pipe with two 90s over and up to the meter base. They cheated and pulled the straight part in, slid the 90s on and then the riser. Not legal but certainly practical.
It is the way the FPL contractor does it so I didn't feel too bad about it.
BTW a golf cart makes a great "tugger". We had to tie the raceway to a tree to keep it from being tugged out of the ground tho. One thing they did come up with was to shoot a little squirt of soap in each section of RNC while they were gluing it together.

They only hit one water line! On a golf course that is amazing to me.

Greg Fretwell
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
Greg- I'm surprised you'd be a party to this type of installation. We both know that it is not code compliant. SER is not Listed for use underground or in conduit. I would never have approved this type of installation. On the other hand it probably will work just fine and they will probably never have to replace it in our lifetime. If they do they will have to replace the conduit also. Okay I vented. smile

George Little
G
I have tossed this around various groups for a month and the answers were all over the map. The THWN marked conductors are certainly OK in pipe underground so the safety issue seemed minimal to non-existant. The licensed EC made the decision to use it and the AHJ said it was OK so I figured it was NOMB.
Bear in mind I also had no real authority to say they couldn't. I was just an observer.
In fact I just took my required my CEU law course and I would face a $1500 fine for impersonating the AHJ if I did say something.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it. ;-)

They did strip the last 10' that goes through the turns so I wouldn't bet you couldn't pull that out if that was your concern. I can't imagine why they would want to and if they did replace it they could go back with #6 if they wanted to since this is only supposed to be a 60a service and they are only using about 5 of it. (two 15a circuits)

Greg Fretwell
G
Okay Greg- With that explanation I guess it makes sense. My thinking was aside from the SER not being listed for use in conduit, the possibility of damaging the conductors was there. Now if they removed the outer jacket the conductors would possibly flex more and not end up being damaged. I would be the last person to say I never approved a job that was less then perfect because sometimes a contractor can accomplish what I call "equivalency" and not meet the code to the letter of the law and I would approve the installation.

George Little
G
bump This one ... and George didn't like it last year either wink

Greg Fretwell
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard