ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
G
This month's IAEI mag has a short article about some of the changes in 2008. It hasn't hit the web yet but I have my hard copy.

Greg Fretwell
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

A
Greg,
Some praise what others condemn.

Not having a pen name to shield myself that is all I'm willing to say, although my views on 406.11 are well known.

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.
Cat Servant
Well, if nothing else, let this new code be a reminder.

Opinions are like fingers ... most everyone has a handful or two. The 2008 Code has been published. It's done. Now the ball is back in OUR court.

First of all, there is no reason that your locality must adopt it, either in whole or in part.

Secondly, NOW is the time to get involved in the next cycle. Get those proposals in. Get the comments rolling. Drown committee members in your submittals.

Personally, I suspect we're not far from the NFPA getting a major wake-up call. That call will come in the form of their losing credibility, due to an overly ambitious code writing program. But that's just one of my 'fingers' laugh

G
One of the things we will get bit with is the requirement of load management hardware if you have a generator and a transfer switch. It sure doesn't read like the user will be able to do his own load management.

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
hmm... didn't know about that one!

R
Greg, actually the only change will affect those using ATS's for Optional systems, if a MTS or load management is used it will be the same as it is now.

Here is the ROP

Report on Proposals A2007

— Copyright, NFPA NFPA 70

(B) System Capacity. The calculations of load on the standby source shall be made in accordance with Article 220 of by another method that is acceptable to the authority having jurisdiction.

(1) Manual Transfer Equipment. Where manual transfer equipment is
used an optional standby system shall have adequate capacity and rating for the supply of all equipment intended to be operated at one time. The user of the optional standby system shall be permitted to select the load connected to the system.

(2) Automatic Transfer Equipment. Where automatic transfer equipment is used, an optional standby system comply with a or b.

(a) Full Load. The standby source shall be capable of supplying the full load that is transferred by the automatic transfer equipment.

(b) Load Management. Where a system is employed that will automatically
manage the connected load, the standby source shall have a capacity sufficient to supply the maximum load that will be connected by the load management system.

Roger

G
Thanks, I didn't get that from the article. That is more reasonable than some of the discussions I have heard about this.

Greg Fretwell
R
Personally, I suspect we're not far from the NFPA getting a major wake-up call.

I think that the only thing that would get their attention is for a number of states to refuse to adopt the 2008 NEC.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
G
Florida says they are going to pass. The FBC did cherry pick a few things out and put it in the Florida code. One thing is they are going with the relaxed 680.26(C) rules (single #8 ring)

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard