ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (Scott35, gfretwell), 275 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#168408 09/03/07 06:10 PM
Grover Offline OP
I've been tapped to assist in writing a grant proposal to establish a Shelter / Operations system in rural Maine.

I have not surveyed the site yet, but it involves 3 buildings - Fire Station, Town Office, Gymnasium with space for cots and a full kitchen. I'm guessing 200A panels in each - all within 2-300' of each other.

I've done several large, portable gensets, but am looking for the company that sells a "universal" lockout - mechanical in nature - tailored to different panels (had a link in the old pc that got bit by lightning!).

My concept at this point is to built up a surplus trailerable genset, 100-200A/240V surplus genset - located central to the 3 buildings, install the lockouts, connect to external, building mounted connectors via TC cable and go from there.

Operation would need to be ready for summer (thunderstorm/lightning/hurricane damage) or winter (snow/ice storm damage). Local staff could perform regular startup to assure readiness.

Comments or suggestions?

Thanks!

Grov

Cat Servant
I really doubt your idea will be acceptable to the engineer.

I am doing a similar job right now, and the genset, along with the transfer switch, were specified, and purchased direct. I just get to install them. The spec on the genset was extremely detailed; one detail specified the noise levels.

In this case, the generator will be 'exercised' as part of a maintenance schedule, by the firemen. Loads will be automatically transferred; other installs will have you use a 'load bank.'

J
You may want to see the loads in the fire station before you do too much engineering for this. A 200 amp service does not sound big enough.

Also sounds like you would be trying to split the output of the generator and use it to power all 3 buildings. UIf you were to truly have a diasaster in the area you may need full power to all three buildings at the same time.

F
I think it will be wise to get the load demand figured out first before you slecting the generator size and also you have to becarefull with 3Ø system they can get very tricky here if the building system is on 208/120 Y system and you get the trailerable generator if that generator is wired for delta system verised to the building system.

the other thing that you say trailerable genny it will be wise have either ATS or MTS with interlock so you cant disconnected under the load unless you have very rugged pin and sleeve connector [ those are not cheap btw ]

and also you have to find out the load for crictal circuirt and normal load and with 3 breaker box that really can get tricky there unless you put 3 ats for each loactaion and have one master ats where you will plug in the generator is

Merci , Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

Link Copied to Clipboard