ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
Ok, so everyone here knows that this website is THE BEST DARN RESOURCE THERE IS!....Next to the NEC of course.(to me both are indespensible) So how is it that EVERYONE I talk to has absolutely no clue that this website exists. Is it because they have reached a point in there career that they just use the knowledge they have gained over X amount of years and don't feel the need to learn any more? Or is it simply because a lot of guys in the trade are just demotivated? Did I just say the same thing two different ways?

Anyway, has anyone else noticed this? Time after time, I ask guys in the trade if they have every visited
electrical-contractor.net, and get the same response...."no." Then I'll ask them again...."no...."...and again...."no."...
UN-BAH-LEEVE-AH-BULL!

M
You mean to tell me that there are other electricians out there besides us guys?? smile

Tom Offline
Here's life in my state.

Many electricians, once they pass the test & get their license, never crack open a code book again.

For many, this is just a good paying job & they really don't have a lot of interest in the trade other than the paycheck. When they clock out, the last thing they would do is spend time learning about the trade if they aren't getting paid. If they're on the internet at all, it would not accur to them to visit an electrical site.

There are Master Electricians in the area that pay me to put on my inspectors hat & come out to the job to help them figure out how to build a service.

There are other Master Electricians that build the service and then pay me to inspect it, twice. The second trip is the inspection that verifies the violations were corrected.

On the positive side, a few contractors actually pay their electricians wages and pay the registration fee for them to attend our IAEI meetings. I'm amazed at how enthusiastic these electricians are about learning more.

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
C
Wow, I just read my origional post and can't believe how crazy I sounded. Must have been pretty tired. Thanks for the responses.

nick

H
Here in my state NJ, that use to be the way. Once you got a license, you never looked in the NEC. Well the state took care of that and makes all Lic. guys to have CEU's. It use to be good when the time was 10 hours for continuing credits, but the electrical organizations screwed that up. They pushed for more hours and now believe it is 35 hours for the CEU's. I don't need them anymore because I am a AHJ. I do however need classes to keep my HHS license.

G
Florida also requires CEUs from building code officials. We need 8 code related, 2 law and 2 ADA, per cycle, minimum.
Since the original rule was 14 code/trade related and polititians/lawyers rammed in the ADA and "law" requirements I wouldn't be surprised if they kicked up the hours to get the code courses back up.

Greg Fretwell
G
BTW if time is not on your side there are online courses that are accepted by a lot of states. I am taking my "law" and ADA from Red Vector (.com)
It isn't cheap but you can do it on your own schedule.
Those are required CEUs but actually finding a real class is not all that easy.

Greg Fretwell
Just a little question,
What keeps you guys coming back here?.
I've been here for 5+ years (I had a different username before I was Trumpy), I've got nothing but good comments to say about ECN, but one thing I must say, if you look at the Members list here, most of the folks here that have registered take no part in discussions, that is rather sad because we would like their input as well, this place could be a really good resource for electricians, we just need your help.
Folks, If you've registered at least take the oppurtunity to say hello.
Cheers,
Mike.

L
Hello, I'm new here and think it's great.

But I won't take a knife to a gun fight.
If I'm out witted, I like to sit back and learn from the discussion.

However, I do have my strong points and when I see them, I like to chime in,Providing the answer has not already been told.

G
leland pretty much summed it up as well as it can be said.

There are a lot of knowledgeable people here and sometimes that can be intimidating. It's not to say that I don't have anything to contribute, just not on a consistent basis. I do learn just as much by reading here in my spare time as I do at work. So that says something for the quality of posts that are being posted here.

"If common sense was common, everyone would have it"-not sure, someone here

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard