ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 221 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
I like groups like this because the conversations stimulate me to go read the arcane language in the code and try to actually understand what the NFPA folks are saying.

Greg Fretwell
M

Here in my state NJ, that use to be the way. Once you got a license, you never looked in the NEC. Well the state took care of that and makes all Lic. guys to have CEU's. It use to be good when the time was 10 hours for continuing credits, but the electrical organizations screwed that up. They pushed for more hours and now believe it is 35 hours for the CEU's. I don't need them anymore because I am a AHJ. I do however need classes to keep my HHS license.

The NJECA really screwed us on this one...now we have 10 hrs listening to the instructor read the code book changes and 24 hrs of infomercials...all mandatory...

Last edited by mahlere; 09/03/07 11:07 AM.
B
Just like some people are chefs because they really love good cooking and really appreciate food, it seems like a lot of the posters here are in the electrical industry because we're interested in electricity and the electrical trade; it's something a little more than just a job. That's true for me, certainly.

Most of the guys I work with are capable, experienced electricians, but they got into the trade because that was the path of least resistance as far as finding a stable career. They have their licenses and have very little curiosity for anything that isn't absolutely essential to doing their job; e.g., they can quickly and properly wire a motor starter and install the OL protection but have no idea how the starter works or why those OLs should be that size, and they have very little interest in finding out.

It's fun to talk to and hear from people who have the same interest you do, which is why I come here.

-John

N
Originally Posted by mahlere
The NJECA really screwed us on this one...now we have 10 hrs listening to the instructor read the code book changes and 24 hrs of infomercials...all mandatory...

Don't forget that you need to PAY for the fun of sitting through those infomercials, as well. The whole 34 hour package usually runs ~$500 or so.

I guess 'who' you choose to do your CEU's with makes a difference.

Besides 34 hrs. for EC Lic CEU's, how about the five days (5) for the AHJ Lic CEU's?

But, back to the topic of this thread......
been here for a while.....time permitting....drop my 2 cents.....and still think this is a great source of expanding our (collective) knowledge.

John
R
I think that ECN is a fantastic website !

It is great to share knowledge and discuss matters regarding the electrical topics, and occasional OT threads.

I reckon that there are no "silly questions". If you are at a seminar and a question gets asked, even if it may sound silly, there are at least an other 10 or more, who will think, great ! he asked it, it was on the tip of my tongue but i did not have the oopmf to ask.

Same with postings, Industry experience, different levels of training in different countries, different regulations, etc, create a wealth of knowledge and create a great data base for reference.

Keep it up guys!

Kind regards from New Zealand,

Raymond ( RODALCO )

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
L
Well for me, I stumbled into the trade at 22 yrs old. (layed off truck driver) Wasn't sure what a screw driver was. A friend of a friend needed help, so there I was.
Started out doing small resi stuff and fire alarm, that fizzled and ended up with a big contractor. Did construction and commercial fire for a while. They must of thought I was kinda' intelligent coz they put me in service.

So with limited commercial service installs I learned how to diagnose and repair what others had designed and installed, I did some but not the heavey thinking part.

thats why I like this site, I'm getting a better knowledge of how to know what and why.

I can diagnose and fix it with great confidence, but why it was installed that way, I'm still learning.

Interesting topic goin on here... To address Trumpy's post, I too like to sit back and glean the vast knowledge of the fine folks here, and I do learn alot. I even throw out a few "stir the pot" posts now and then (shared neutrals, anyone? smile ) but overall I try to only contribute when I have something meaningful to add.

As for this topic in general, it's not just electricians. Projectionists and especially cinema service techs have a very close-minded attitude when it comes to expanding their knowledge. Most are happy to just sit back and do nothing while changes happen around them. And there are really no young bucks eager to enter either trade, and I am one of the last of a dying breed. It's depressing, really.

But thankfully we all have this great site to keep on learning more...and it'll be a big help when I have to switch back to being an electrician full-time. smile

Stupid should be painful.
C
wow, thanks everyone for the many responses. I printed out one of my other threads I started, "I am wiring a Taco Bell", to bring to work to see if any of the guys would think they could benefit from this great resource...

thanks again..

nick

L
It is what you make it.

A living.. or.. A career.

The way I see it. The more I learn the shorter my time of bull work is.

"Work smart, not hard"... Dad Some time ago.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard