ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#1693 05/22/01 01:29 PM
M
Here are the requirements in the land of 10,000 lakes, 50 kazillion mosquitoes, and even more required licenses.

Matt

Electrician's Licenses

To do electrical work in Minnesota you need to be licensed by the State Board of Electricity.

The Board issues four types of contractor licenses – Class A Electrical, Class B Electrical Elevator, and alarm and communication. It also issues eight types of electrician licenses. Let's look first at the contractor licenses. To get either contractor license you must post a contractor's bond for $5,000. You must also have general liability insurance for $100,000 per occurrence, $300,000 aggregate, and property damage insurance for $300,000 per occurrence, $300,000 aggregate. There are no experience requirements for contractor licenses.

You don't have to pass an exam to get an electrical contractor license but you must either be a licensed master electrician or employ a licensed master electrician who will be responsible for all the electrical work your company does.

Requirements for Master electrician's license

A. Class A master electrician (60 months required):

(1) planning for the installation of wiring, apparatus, and equipment for light, heat, and power: minimum experience of two months, maximum credit allowance of 12 months;

(2) laying out for the installation of wiring, apparatus, and equipment for light, heat, and power: minimum experience of two months, maximum credit allowance of 12 months;

(3) supervising the installation of wiring, apparatus, and equipment for light, heat, and power: minimum experience of two months, maximum credit allowance of 12 months;

(4) wiring for and installing electrical wiring, apparatus, and equipment: minimum experience of 12 months, maximum credit allowance of 48 months;

(5) maintaining and repairing electrical wiring, apparatus, and equipment: minimum experience of zero months, maximum credit allowance of 24 months;

(6) line work: minimum experience of zero months, maximum credit allowance of three months;

(7) installing elevators: minimum experience of zero months, maximum credit allowance of six months;

(8) laying out and installing wiring, apparatus, and equipment for home appliances: minimum experience of zero months, maximum credit allowance of three months; and

(9) wiring and maintaining electronic controls: minimum experience of zero months, maximum credit allowance of three months.

Electrician's exam license fee: The exam you have to pass to get an electrician license will be on licensing laws, the current National Electrical Code, and electrical theory. It will cost you $35 to take an exam. A license is good for two years.

The Board has reciprocal agreements with Nebraska, North Dakota, and South Dakota for both master and journeyman licenses. If you've received a license by examination in one of these states and held it for one year or more, you can get a reciprocal license in Minnesota. You'll have to pay an application fee and license fee to receive your reciprocal license.

Minnesota, as well as several other states require continuing education in order to renew your license(s). Here are the requirements.

3800.3602 REQUIREMENTS FOR RENEWAL OF ELECTRICIAN LICENSE.

Subpart 1. License renewal. The board shall not renew the electrician license of an applicant for renewal who has held the license for at least 24 months after the effective date of this part unless the applicant has credit for the hours of instruction required by this part.

Subp. 2. Hours of instruction. Within the 24 months preceding the expiration of an electrician license, each holder of a license shall receive credit for 16 hours of instruction through one or more educational programs. Credit shall be allowed only once for any educational program in any 24 month period. Where a licensee holds more than one type of electrician license, the same credits for hours of instruction may be applied to each license.

#1694 05/22/01 01:40 PM
M
Washington state is identical to Minnesota's
master electrician qaulifications/duties. Which may explain why Minnesota and Washington have a reciprocal agreement.

#1695 05/22/01 02:00 PM
Tom Offline
'66,

What does worthy have to do with it?

You're either doing good work or you're not. The license seems to have no relation to the quality of workmanship & the level of code compliance (this statement only applies to WV).

I remember inspecting 4 services for a master (grandfathered, don't you know)electrician (thank God he does not work in the trade any more, just on his own rental properties). None of the services passed the first try. All required extensive re-work. He missed things a 2nd year apprentice would know about. Finally, he quit using my services because I was too tough. I can think of 3 homeowners within a 5 minute ride of my house who can do a better job then that "master" & they don't even have an apprentice license.

Judging by the questions you ask & the statements you make, you're a pretty fair hand. At least you know what the questions should be, many in the trade in WV can't even get that far.

Enough of this screed. my blood pressure is going up.

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
#1696 05/22/01 03:27 PM
S
I never really thought about the term "Master Electrician" having so many different meanings throughout the country. To some, it really doesn't mean much. In other parts of the country, a Master, and a Journeyman are about equal in knoweldge. As I said in my earlier post, others hold Master Electricians in very high esteem.

I think it all comes down to the individual. The person who walks on the job, and can
complete the installation in a timely manner for a fair price (not the cheapest price) will eventually "rise to the top", and be respected in the industry. I think that being respected amoung our peers is far more important that the name stamped on our license.

#1697 05/22/01 03:49 PM
Tom Offline
Tex,

That's about a good a definition as you could make up. I think you're correct, recognition by your peers (unless you're peerless) means a lot more than the piece of paper in your wallet.

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
#1698 05/22/01 07:31 PM
Tom...
Sorry if I sounded defensive...

I figure one is either worthy of the Master rating, or not...

Personally, I busted my tail to pass the test. Took me three times, and on the third I ended up taking "one of those classes". Here's where the story really gets interesting... Ends up, the test had changed to reflect the 99 code, and the "teacher" was totally unprepared. He admitted to not being an electrician, not knowing what to tell us as far as preparing us for the test, and did not offer to give us a refund. So, with the help of a British engineer who was there to get his temporary ticket so he could preform his work at DuPont, I basically taught the class. It was completely to my surprise that I finally passed it.

I guess I'm trying to say that I feel I've earned the WV Masters rating, even if I may not qualify as a Master in any other place in the world. I'm achieving my dream of being a contractor, something I've wanted for 10 years. But, sometimes I worry that I'm not qualified... I cannot be my own judge.

Thanks for the words of encouragement...

-Virgil

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 05-22-2001).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#1699 05/22/01 07:51 PM
S
I doubt the 'unqualified' would care to hang with the crew we have here

#1700 05/22/01 08:38 PM
F
Here in Indiana, we don't have a state license. I was "grandfathered" in my local town from when your reputation and $35.00 got you licensed. I had worked for my dad, a couple of old, established electrical contractors and then for my father-in-law before obtaining my own local license. Then about 6 years ago the town passed an ordinance that required all new applicants to pass the Block Master Exam with a score of 85 or better in order to obtain an electrical contractor's license. You could still take a 50 question test and get a limited "Residential Wireman's License". I was grandfathered in and didn't have to take the Block test but wanted to anyway so I could say I did. Besides, other towns wouldn't reciprocate unless you had the Block Master's test on your resume. I ordered the Master's test prep book set from Tom Henry and studied religously for 3 months before taking the test. I passed it on my first attempt with a 89. I was the first one in my town to pass it and am still the only one to pass it on the first try.
I have to admit that while I knew my trade very well, I learned a lot about the NEC and how to use it through the Tom Henry materials. Now when an inspector questions something or makes an off the wall requirement I know exactly where to go in the code book to make my case on the matter.
Passing the Block Master's Exam is no small feat, but it doesn't mean you're an all-knowing electrical guru either. For me, the biggest benefit was fueling a desire to learn more and understand better everything about the trade. One of my "old electrician" mentors once told me that the stupidest man is the one who thinks he's reached the pinnacle of knowledge. He also told me not to worry about learning the tricks of the trade, just learn the trade. I was blessed to have had him to work under.

#1701 05/23/01 07:10 AM
R
While we are breaing our souls, allow me. I have been an E&I(elc.& instrument)Tech in a chemical research plant since 1984.Mostly OJT and local trade school evening classes. I passed the Phila. elect contractors exam in 1990 and started a side business in hopes of making it rich?!!. After 2 years I gave it up for the security of my day job. Fast fwd 2000, company for sale for 3rd time in 5 years. Bought a truck and decided this time it's for real. Maintenance vs. contracting are 2 different animals and this forum has been very helpful. Thanks, all! Funny thing is, last year I convinced my company to enter into an apprenticeship agreement with PA, and began more evening classes to recieve a journeyman card. I'm actually going to school that I may not finish for a credential that I don't really need.

#1702 05/23/01 07:13 AM
C
Here in North Carolina, we have 3 classifications in addition to residential only, swimming pool and low volt.
The classifications are:
1. Limited..Up to 25,000. per job and 600 volts or less.
2. Intermediate..Up to 75,000. per job
3. Unlimited..No limit

Each classification requires its own test and has its own standards for experience and apprenticeship.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard