ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#168046 08/26/07 03:17 AM
P
My attention was drawn recently to a site promoting a device that appears to be a power-factor correction system : http://www.saveenergyllc.com/
All well and good, but they head up their web page with the claim that it will save 8% - 15% in your domestic electricity account!
I was not aware that domestic consumers got charged for a poor power factor, I thought it was pretty much universal to be charged for KWh, not KVAh. Am I right?
This looks like a scam to me. Comments, anyone?

Mark aka Paulus
Tom Offline
Some of the claims for the device appear to be true, but saving a meaningful amount of money on your electric bill isn't one of them.

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
Tom #168050 08/26/07 07:49 AM
P
In addition to big money savings, this device will help protect all your electrical and electronic investments against:

* Harmonic distortion
* Under Voltage
* Switching transient
* Power surge
* Frequency variation
* Power sag
* Over voltage

Wow, that's quite a gadget! whistle

pauluk #168059 08/26/07 11:02 AM
G
I notice they usually "test" these PF correctors with an unloaded motor. I suppose if you have a lot of machines spinning with no load on them this might save you some money but a properly designed motor/load combo may actually do worse with these magic boxes.
That is what Consumer Reports found using the "Green Plug" on a moderrn refrigerator.

Greg Fretwell
Save Energy LLC

Product Info

KVAR Power Factor 1200

You're using more electricity in your home today than ever before, it's still possible to lower your monthly electric bills with our Residential KVAR Power Factor 1200 Unit!

Why KVAR Power Factor 1200 Unit are so important?
As the demand for the depletion of our natural resources and rising fuel cost for energy increases, so does the need for additional power plants. Our KVAR participants have already saved enough money and energy to help avoid building one additional power plant and saved millions of tons in the emissions from greenhouse gases.

How KVAR Power Factor 1200 Unit is installed?
The KVAR Power Factor 1200 Unit is attached to the top 220/240 volt breaker/200amp service (we recommend to have your local electrician install for you). By installing the KVAR UNIT in this location, you are hitting both sides of the bus bar in your panel insuring whole house surge protection.

How do you achieve savings?
When motors in your home start, they ask the utilities transformer for power (voltage and amperage) to run. This demand for power runs through the house wiring, thru the panel box, thru the meter and down the lines to the transformer. This demand for power heats up and strains the motors and wiring in the home, this heat (I2R losses) is watts. The KVAR Power Factor 1200 Unit once installed stores and releases to the homes motors what they need to function properly, thus reducing heat on the wires and the motors. Lowering this heat will reduce your electric bill, reduce the chance of fires and increase the life of the motors. Note: The KVAR Power Factor 1200 Unit is compatible with installation on the "older" designed fuse boxes.

Ahh OK.

Trumpy #168100 08/27/07 03:49 AM
It kind of sounds like this has some big capacitors in it with some surge protection. I like how it is rivited shut, I am sure if the rivits are removed - warranty is void. Saving energy... just another gimmick devide.

~Matt

I would rather beg for forgiveness then beg for permission.

Link Copied to Clipboard