ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 175 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
gfretwell #168112 08/27/07 12:03 PM
E
Well, I'm not going to beat Greg up on this one at all, in fact I would have done the same thing. I even had to resort to a few "no-no's" in my own panel at home. Here's my situation:

200 Amp GE panel fit between two studs in a finished basement wall. House is total electric, so there are plenty of large cables entering it, all from the top, and all knockouts are well-used. Due to the studs, there's no way to enter from the sides (I don't like doing that anyway). The only way to bring any other cables into the panel is from the bottom. Being a finished basement, this isn't really much of an option either. Personally, I prefer that ALL cables enter from one end or the other, never both and never on the sides. That's just my preference. I also prefer to use butt splices instead of wire nuts to extend wires that are short.

The only knockout left in the top was a concentric one in the center that goes up to 2.5". I had two 6/3 romex cables to bring into the panel, one for a sub panel in my shed and another for a second range in the basement. I ended up putting a 2" Romex/SEU connector in and brought both 6/3's in through it. They fit perfectly, of course, but there's no doubt that some gun-slinging home inspector will eat me up on that one if I ever sell the house.

My take on this is that sometimes, you have no choice in doing it 100% correctly, but 90% correct is close enough. It's not like there's no connector at all; it doesn't mash the cables excessively and it holds them well. Am I going to home inspector jail?

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
gfretwell #168124 08/27/07 04:06 PM
A
NJ - Great observation (and perfectly acceptable answer Greg)!
Cheers Ann

Ann Brush #168131 08/27/07 05:12 PM
C
I see a yellow wire nut in the upper right hand corner but I can't tell where the black wire coming out of it goes.
I also see what looks like a blue wire nut being used to extend the feeders neutral.
Is that a 1/2" KO that didn't get sealed?
And finally was the camera that far out of level because I'm sure it wasn't the panel;)
I'm just ribbing and I agree with Ed and though I'd worry more about a 1/2 hole exposed to wood than multiple cables in a clamp the danger either one presents in this case is pretty low.
Vince

Last edited by ChicoC10; 08/27/07 05:15 PM.
ChicoC10 #168362 09/02/07 11:33 AM
H
Greg,

I don't think that I would have a problem with the "Euro strip" either. I think it is a nice and neat way of getting everything together. Plus it doesn't over fill the panel with a lot of wirenuts. Good Job!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard