ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 277 guests, and 22 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#167902 08/22/07 12:38 PM
G
Does anybody see anything wrong the following:
Bought a house with hot tub built into deck and the control panel where the thermostat is located is under the deck in the hot tub compartment.Now when I want to change the temperature I have to crawl underneath(spiders,bugs maybe rats).What i want to do is get a line voltage thermostat with a 48" capillary and mount it to deck pole and just have the cappillary in the water and wire down to the heater.
Somehow it doesn't seem right to have the capillary tube sitting in the water beside me although the whole thing is protected by the GFCI.

Cap should be in the return water pipe, not in the tub.
Why not a low volt t'stat and a relay? Usually, the temp is 'set' and not adjusted; theory being it's cheaper to maintain a set temp, then 'heat' the water to the desired temp from ambient.

John
G
It is an urban legend that it is cheaper to keep the water hot, particularly if you are a long time between uses.

Greg Fretwell
Greg the 'myth buster'!
Two friends keep there tubs 'on' year round, with thick heavy covers. The legend is not of my thoughts.

John
G
I know, I also hear it about water heaters and cooling/heating your house. You just can't change the laws of thermodynamics. There may be an inconvenience factor in turning these things off when you are not using them but you pay more to keep them at a different temperature than ambient. Insulation can slow the heat transfer but it will still transfer. You have to pay to move it back. The greater the difference in temperature from ambient the more you pay.

BTW mythbusters did do the light bulb myth (cheaper to leave them on) and busted it. It is cheaper to turn the light off when you are not using it.

Greg Fretwell
Here is all the rules for Canada

68-404 Controls and other electrical equipment (see Appendix B)

(1) Controls for a spa or hot tub shall be located behind a barrier or not less than 1 m horizontally from the spa or hot tub, unless they are an integral part of an approved factory-built spa or hot tub.
(2) Receptacles shall be installed in accordance with Rule 68-064.
(3) Luminaires shall be installed in accordance with Rule 68-066.
(4) Except for a spa or hot tub installed at a dwelling unit, an emergency shutoff switch shall be installed for each spa or hot tub that

(a) disconnects the motors supplying power to the closed water circulating systems;
(b) is independent of the controls for a spa or hot tub;
(c) is located at a point readily accessible to the users and within sight of and within 15 m of the spa or hot tub;
(d) is labelled in a conspicuous, legible, and permanent manner identifying it as the "emergency" shutoff switch; and
(e) is equipped with audible and visual trouble-signal devices that give immediate warning upon actuation of the emergency shutoff switch.

The Following is from the CEC handbook

Subrule (1) aims to reduce the risk of shock hazard by requiring that the controls be located so that a person in the spa or hot tub cannot reach them.
Subrules (2) and (3) require that receptacles and luminaires around spas and hot tubs be installed according to the requirements of Rules 68-064 and 68-066.
In emergency situations, the circulating pumps for spas or hot tubs might have to be shut down. When spas and hot tubs are installed in locations other than dwelling units (e.g., in health clubs, hotels, or resorts), people trained in emergency procedures might not be readily available. In such locations, Subrule (4) requires that an emergency shut-off switch be installed (see Figure 68-7). This switch must
• disconnect the closed water circulation pump;
• not be part of the controls for the spa or hot tub;
• be located so that it is
– readily accessible;
– within sight of the spa of hot tub; and
– not more than 15 m from the spa or hot tub;
• have a warning label that identifies it as an emergency shut-off switch; and
• give an immediate visual and audible emergency signal upon activation of the emergency shut-off switch.

Link Copied to Clipboard