ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#167755 08/19/07 06:54 PM
Cat Servant
When one enters a crawl space, one tends to assume that the house will remain standing while one is under it. After all, crawl spaces can be scary enough as it is....

Ever wonder what holds a house up? Ever wonder why used cars NEVER have their jacks? This picture will answer both your questions:

[Linked Image]

frown

Last edited by renosteinke; 08/19/07 06:54 PM.
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Yeah, Crawling under houses is definately one of the 'bad' things about being an electrician. Ive seen all sorts of things under a house from a cat to a sewage leak. The cat startled me quite well, I just crawled down the hole, feet first and was shining my flashlight around and saw 2 eyes, man it got my heart pumping.

What is the strangest thing you guys have seen under a house / in an attic?

~TOOL_5150

I would rather beg for forgiveness then beg for permission.
My old trailer wasn't even that bad...

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
W
worst things around here are snakes. I have never seen a snake under a house, seen a snake skin, but not being used by the snake at the time

Jimmy

Life is tough, Life is tougher when you are stupid
G
Snakes are usually the good guys. They eat rats. Given the choice I take the snakes.

Greg Fretwell
C
Don't forget black widows.
Worst crawl job I did was a rewire crawling all the receptacles from below. I'd got all the boxes popped out and the holes trimmed for new boxes and had my wife standing by to catch the wires as I pushed them up.(she was actually reading a book and would have been fired if I were paying her)
As I crawled to the first location I noticed big fat black widows were EVERYWHERE!!! Went and got some bug spray and breathed a lot of it trying to get that one done.
Vince

ChicoC10 #168096 08/27/07 12:02 AM
R
I was under the girlfriend's parents cottage and all I saw was chipmunks.. Got lucky there mind you the purpose for me being there was to " see why the composting toilet and water pump are tripping breakers"!

A.D

Rewired #168158 08/28/07 11:11 AM
E
I remember an old house I crawled under. The access was typical of old homes-so small you have to wedge your belt buckle past the frame. It took me a couple of minutes of contorting to get in. I shone the light around and saw a black pile in the corner about 10 feet away. Black fur, White stripe just visible. I was back outside in less than 15 seconds.
The lady who owned the house said to come back in a couple of days; she'll just throw moth balls under the house and any critters will leave.

energy7 #168208 08/29/07 03:19 AM
1. Gents, a warning. Spiders are immune to some of the 'modern', safer insecticides- because they're not insects.

2.Gents, er...do NOT use mothballs to get rid of critters. A guy I know had a foine - the european stone marten, a mini-wolverine and not to be messed with - nesting in the roof of his cottage. He ordered his builder to throw a couple of boxes of mothballs around up there before finishing off a roof repair. Result: a]. Foine left home. b]. The house stinks permanently and powerfully of mothballs, but he can't remove them as he has no access into the roofspace.

Wood work but can't!
N
Originally Posted by Alan Belson
1. Gents, a warning. Spiders are immune to some of the 'modern', safer insecticides- because they're not insects.

2.Gents, er...do NOT use mothballs to get rid of critters. A guy I know had a foine - the european stone marten, a mini-wolverine and not to be messed with - nesting in the roof of his cottage. He ordered his builder to throw a couple of boxes of mothballs around up there before finishing off a roof repair. Result: a]. Foine left home. b]. The house stinks permanently and powerfully of mothballs, but he can't remove them as he has no access into the roofspace.

Same thing for not using bait to kill mice & rats, they crawl off into some inacessable space and someone gets to enjoy the wonderful aroma.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard