ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 374 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Cat Servant
I know, I know .... it truly worries me that there are so many contenders for this title! Yet, this one - in the crawl space of a rental duplex, place originally built in the 20's - was bad enough for me to document on my way through.

First of all, I was delighted to see that there was a junction box used:

[Linked Image]

Next, I guess he ran out of Romex, so out came the extension cord:

[Linked Image]

Then he ran the cord across the floor:

[Linked Image]

He ran his circuits together, in a neat and orderly (unsupported) manner:

[Linked Image]

Finally, he was ready to go up into the wall:

[Linked Image]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

In that first pic, Is the romex just 'wrapped through' the plastic box?

I would rather beg for forgiveness then beg for permission.
Cat Servant
Yes, it is ... no splice in the box.

E
What scares me the most is that this appears to be fairly new construction. In a 50+ year-old building, you never know what to expect, but in newer construction, I am surprised. Mighty fine violations there, I might add!

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
T
Originally Posted by EV607797
What scares me the most is that this appears to be fairly new construction. In a 50+ year-old building, you never know what to expect, but in newer construction, I am surprised. Mighty fine violations there, I might add!

Erm... may I correct you by quoting the original poster?
place originally built in the 20's

Cat Servant
Tex, I didn't correct the man, simply because he actually is looking at some 'new' construction. This house has had extensive work done, including the replacing of some floor joists and the floor above.

A bit off point, but, IMO, when a place needs that much work - it's time to knock it down and start over!

E
Yeah, I just noticed that. I just looked at the pictures and then posted. I thought that those floor joists look pretty new and that the walls were poured concrete, certainly not something you would see in a house that old. Nice catch.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
T
Indeed, I missed the floor joists.

The concrete wall looks like it's already seen a few centuries though, even if it's probably indeed not from the 1920s.

Personally sometimes I think the architectural value of a building justifies much more work than the monetary value of the house would, sometimes simply the fact the house was built 80+ years ago and is still standing.

Originally Posted by Texas_Ranger
Personally sometimes I think the architectural value of a building justifies much more work than the monetary value of the house would, sometimes simply the fact the house was built 80+ years ago and is still standing.

I say the same of Levittown houses, but sometimes it would be cheaper to rip the thing down to earth, dig a basement and build a house that meets 2007 codes. (In other words, no 2X6 joists for a 25foot span or 12foot double-2X6 load-bearing headers.)

Ian A.

Last edited by Theelectrikid; 10/18/07 03:40 PM. Reason: wrong "meats"

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
T
Sure, some things are simply best described using 4-letter words wink
However, most of the pre-WWII houses built to such a constructionstandard are long gone, so those that remain usually deserve to be saved unless there is serious strucutral damage (even though replacement of load bearing components, especially foundations is much more common in the US than in Europe).
I see far too many beautiful houses go just because someone thought the lot with a new house would be worth more than with the old house (which is unfortunately true in most cases since there seem to be too many people with bad taste) and leave the old ones to rot so they can get a demolition permit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard