ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#167652 08/17/07 12:01 AM
D
This may belong in another forum.You have a jacuzzi tub in a bathroom,residential.One situation has copper pipes throughtout the house and the other situation has all plastic plumbing EXCEPT the fuacets on the jacuzzi,copper.By code,INCLUDING the lug on motor,what is the grounding procedure here?Bouncing across state lines here and trying to keep alot of inspectors happy?Latest fella wanted one from service to motor only in situation number 2.

S
Normally if all copper motor to water pipe.
If plastic- motor to circuit breaker panel

sandro2 #167660 08/17/07 08:27 AM
E
680.74 requires metal piping systems and grounded metal parts in contact with the circulating water to be bonded together. If there are no metal pipes, then no bonding is required. You are making an equipotential grid. Never is it required to bond a hydromassage bathtub to the panel or the service. NEVER!!!!!!

Earl
E
That said, it is still required to include an equipment grounding conductor with the branch circuit conductors feeding the motor, and that conductor is bonded inside the motor to any metal parts. But no additional bonding to the panel is required.

Earl
S

I worked for an electrician in NJ. The Inspector failed the rough in because he wanted a ground wire ran from the motor bond lug to the CB Panel due to plastic plumbing.This was in Salem county Nj

sandro2 #167831 08/21/07 08:17 AM
M
Originally Posted by sandro2

I worked for an electrician in NJ. The Inspector failed the rough in because he wanted a ground wire ran from the motor bond lug to the CB Panel due to plastic plumbing.This was in Salem county Nj

He had you do that because he doesn't know the difference between grounding, bonding, and equalpotential planes.

M
dirty little secret in NJ...many electrical inspectors are failed electrical contractors for a reason...

Notice I said many...not all....many...

Link Copied to Clipboard