ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Y
445.18 requires a disconnect at the Generator location. I read this to be a Fused or Breaker type . 240.21 Conductors must be protected at the point where they receive there supply. I feel the disconnect also should be close to the generator location. .other Opnions please??

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

W
We sometimes put in generators for cell phone equipment, most are Generac sets. These have breakers on the gen-set where the conductors hook to the set, not what I consider accesseble though, they are inside the gen-set cabinet which is usualy locked.

Jimmy

Life is tough, Life is tougher when you are stupid
S
Be cafeful Jimmy by using the breaker that comes with the equipment. It may be considers as supplemental OCP thus does not meet protection requirements. It should state in the lititerture that come with the genset. I am not familar with Generac so you may be right and I may be wrong. The paperwork that come with out to tell you what size of diconnect to install. Also do not be a retard like my self who put the genset leads on the bottom lugs. The genset is the line not the load.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
Y
This is a very large Generator and came from the factory without a disconnect on it. Thus the question.Owner wants to install the disconnect same room aprox. 40-70 ft away,

S
Closer the better, in sight of not to exceed 50 feet.

G
How do you protect the conductors and the generator from a fault in that 50 feet? Are we assuming a short would stall the generator?

Greg Fretwell
S
The disconnect needs to be close as practical not to exceed 50 feet. The 50 foot rule is somtimes it is not safe to be right at the equipment or if the equipment is elevated

Y
Show me the Code sections ? 50ft and within sight is in mtrs .This Generator is 13.8 volts .

F
Originally Posted by Yoopersup
Show me the Code sections ? 50ft and within sight is in mtrs .This Generator is 13.8 volts .

if i am reading this right this is a low voltage or high votlage ??

13.8 volts or 13.8 KV ??

if it is 13.8 KV there is few other rules will show up with this type of voltage i am not too sure where it land but part of it will be not in the NEC

Merci , Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

Y
It is 13.8 KV and Yes it is part of the NEC as its in a hospital not utilty owned.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard