ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 279 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#167515 08/14/07 09:04 PM
S
sudsy4 Offline OP
I'm installing 8 ft plug in fixtures in a large retail commercial building (28 per row). Is there any spec as to the spacing of supports?

Bill
Best answer may be:
Check mfg specs
or
Apply common sense.
8' fluor channel fixtures are surface mounted at 3 points; suspended at 2 points (each fixture)
It's a 'no definite' answer as the layout is vague by your description above.

John
I
ITO Offline
The only rule I know of is 110.3 (B)...well that and 110.12

101° Rx = + /_\
I
With hanging 8' strip lights I usually support the first one at both ends and the far end of each succeeding one.

Here is a job I finished last year, almost 600 fixtures.

[Linked Image]

That said I recently hung some 8' custom linear lights in offices and that jobs foreman had me do the same as I described above. IMO the fixtures being cast where to week for that and should have had three supports a piece for each fixture as they had been designed.

I guess what I am saying is follow Johns advice.....apply common sense. smile

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Bob:
NICE....
BTW, quite a while back...like you said, 2 on the first; chase nip/ln thru end ko's, one on each additional.
I didn't want to write a novel on the many ways....
Now the 'old' 8' INdustrial type with the full reflector shade...nice old heavy mag ballast, and a housing made from real live steel, not recycled Pepsi cans (man's fixture), that was a definite 'two chainer'.

Back to my serious mode....any shot to get good old common sense into the NEC??

Stay safe

John
S
sudsy4 Offline OP
Thanks for the input everyone. I agree on the 2 on first fixture then one a foot or so from the end of all the rest; however, bar joists don't fit that senario. I guess my actual question was can you miss a hanger on a fixture or must you have a support on every fixture? Checked manufactures specs, told me nothing. The store is a Wal-Mart Superstore.....many many fixtures.

Bill
S
sudsy4 Offline OP
Thanks for the pics...nice job

Bill
Bar joist locations not 'matching' a place for a support are solved by bridging b'twn bar joists with strut, or another suitable alternate.
What about the plans/specs? Most, if not all will provide a detail on the REQUIRED method of installation by the Architect/Engineer of record.

Your 'client' is not a small operation, so you should have details available, or submit an RFI.

John
I
Originally Posted by sudsy4
I guess my actual question was can you miss a hanger on a fixture or must you have a support on every fixture?

I would not skip a support, as John mentioned you need to come up with a way to get a support where you need it.

In my picture above out of over 600 supports only a few actually land on a truss. If you notice the fixtures are diagnal...a major pain in the rear.

Anyway we used these from Caddy...

[Linked Image from erico.com]

To install most of them you use this tool...

But before we got started I sent an RFI to the engineer asking if this method of supporting from the deck was OK. He approved it and away we went.

I can tell you these are very strong.

BTW, also the fixtures in the above photos are joined with factory couplers with 4 tek screws added per coupling to ensure the fixture could not pull apart and drop.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
G
How does this grab the deck?

Greg Fretwell
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard