ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#167080 08/05/07 10:16 AM
D
Incorporating or sole proprietor?Just starting out.

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
S
I started out as a sole proprietor and became incorporated a year or so ago. Over the years I kept asking my accountant if I should incorporate....he kept telling me "the numbers aren't there yet". Once he saw my business hit a point where incorporating made sense, we got the ball rolling on that.
Your best bet is to talk to your accountant.

Sixer

"Will it be cheaper if I drill the holes for you?"
Sixer #167086 08/05/07 01:09 PM
L
LK Offline
Have you talked to an accountant as yet?
They can help guide you thru this process, as sixer noted. Another concern is, do you have a business plan in place, even a basic outline of how you intend to, operate, and budget, setting up your accounts, marketing the business. What are some of your goals, what area of contracting, industral, commercial, residential.

Your profile is missing information, if you could please update.

Thank you,
Les

LK #167087 08/05/07 01:15 PM
M
Here is a short article that talks about this very issue in relation to a construction company. I haven't read the article fully, however, I did not notice any mention as to the fact that these days everyone wants a personal guarantee for credit. So even with a corporation, someone is still on the hook in those cases.

mahlere #167089 08/05/07 01:56 PM
L
LK Offline
Originally Posted by mahlere
Here is a short article that talks about this very issue in relation to a construction company. I haven't read the article fully, however, I did not notice any mention as to the fact that these days everyone wants a personal guarantee for credit. So even with a corporation, someone is still on the hook in those cases.

The main reason some incorporate, is many insurance carriers, will not insure some contracting risk without. the shield.

LK #167097 08/05/07 05:36 PM
W
LK is dead on the money, my insurance carrier required me to incorporate before they would write a policy for me. as to the financial end my accountant kept telling me no, but my lawyer recomended LLC to protect my personel property (home etc.) from any potential lawsuit

Jimmy

Life is tough, Life is tougher when you are stupid
P
We incorporated day one.
Two reasons, first to lock in the company name with the state. Second reason was to protect my personnal property.

Someone can start a company next door to you with the same name if your company name is not registered at the state level. Had a problem with a local guy having nearly the same name (he used a dba, sole proprietor). He eventually went under. There are three air conditioning repair companies with essentially the same name within a 20 mile radius.
There's more bookwork, reporting, etc. but in the long run it's worth it.

PE&Master #167155 08/07/07 10:05 AM
I
ITO Offline
Being incorporated does not necessarily protect your personal property. If you have to get a performance bond, you will see what I mean. Also if you there a cause for a lawsuit, with a fire or injury you the master electrician can personally get sued.

101° Rx = + /_\
ITO #167420 08/12/07 10:01 AM
P
We've not been required to bond anything yet. Maybe not taking large enough projects (nothing bigger than $150K). I think what your referring to is posting your personnal assests against the bond - and thats not good.

Incorporating does offer some protection from losing personel assets.

Nothing protects you from negligence, nor should it.

PE&Master #167478 08/13/07 08:08 AM
I
ITO Offline
Originally Posted by PE&Master
I think what your referring to is posting your personnal assests against the bond - and thats not good.

It is not good but that is how it works.

Originally Posted by PE&Master
Incorporating does offer some protection from losing personel assets.

Nothing protects you from negligence, nor should it.

A lot of folks miss the basic concept that its your business, you started it, you own it, its your asset, and if you lose it then something that belonged to you has been lost.

Yeah I know the benefits of being incorporated and have done so as well.

101° Rx = + /_\

Link Copied to Clipboard