ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 273 guests, and 22 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
F
frankgi Offline OP
It was recently brought to my attention, by an electrical inspector, that in a commercial building crawl space, a sump pump has to be GFI protected?? Instead of the usual dedicated single recept? I cannot seem to find anything that documents that...in 210-8 (B) anyway. Unless it really means "All"
Any thoughts?
FrankG
NJ

"Its all about the small details"
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Based on reading '05 210.8 (b) I see NOTHING that pertains to the conditions that you describe.

That said, did you get a red sticker?
What Code Article was quoted?
You're in NJ, same rules apply statewide, unless there is a local adopted ordinance, which is highly unlikely.

John
F
frankgi Offline OP
Hi John,
No I did not get a red sticker. I was walking thru the inspection with him when he saw my single recept and made me aware of the required GFI. He did not quote an article, he even agreed that having a GFI nuisance trip will result in a flooded condition.(???)

"Its all about the small details"
Frankgi:
OK, 'his' explanation and 'comment' are now noted. Could you PM me the area/location? Or my e-mail is in my profile.

John
Cat Servant
I ran into that once. The inspector was a "combination inspector," and had been assured by the plumber (!!!!) that, of course, the pumps would be on a GFI. He was a bit surprised when I answered his question with a "Heck No!"

To give him credit, he did check with his boss, and did a 180 right then and there.

These 'seminar' inspectors are conditioned to think 'water + electricity = GFI" It takes a while for them to fully understand the topic.

R
If this was a dwelling unit then the inspector would be correct as there are no exceptions to 210.8(A)(4), however there is nothing in 210.8(B) to require a commercial crawl space receptacle to have GFCI protection.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)

Link Copied to Clipboard