ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#166960 08/02/07 06:22 PM
Found this! cool
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ff_AXVlo9U

Read the full info alongside the video.

Alan

Last edited by Alan Belson; 08/02/07 06:24 PM.

Wood work but can't!
K
Cool

I have just been reading up about our man Tesla

der Großvater
D
Duckon is a Science Fiction convention I used to attend in the western 'burbs of Chicago.

J
It's not what you think. The sparks were not "generating" the tones, they were just triggering a pre-programmed set of tones already put together phonically. That's why everything seems to fit nicely from a musical standpoint, just the rhythm is erratic.

It's the same idea as the juggler who appears to be "playing" music by bouncing balls on a keyboard on the ground in front of him. If you watch closely, the balls just hit the keyboard in random areas, not specific keys. So the only thing he need to control is the rhythm.

JRaef
S
Punch in Nikola Tesla in a search engine and you will find some interesting links. There are societies out there that worship the ground he walked on. He was indeed an interesting person and even on the Yugoslavian 100 Dinar. His research has been instrumental in our lives yet many do not even know who he was. Many of his inventions were credited to other like radio waves. It was not Macroni, it was Tesla.

Last edited by sparkyinak; 08/11/07 01:47 AM. Reason: itchy trigger finger. Went for preview button and missed Doh!

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
J
Agreed. Tesla is the unsung hero of the modern world if you ask me. The development of AC power, which we really owe to him, is the thing that made electricity an almost universal commodity. If Edison had been allowed to prevail, we would be using DC power which, because of the limited transmission distances, would have meant a lot of very expensive power generation stations all over the place. This would have made electricity so expensive so as to be only accessible to the wealthy or to industry.

Of course, maybe we would all be healthier now because in order to run our PCs at home, we would need to be pedaling a generator bike!

JRaef
R
Jeff,
If Edison had been allowed to prevail, we would be using DC power which, because of the limited transmission distances, would have meant a lot of very expensive power generation stations all over the place.

ABB does not agree.
HIGH VOLTAGE DIRECT CURRENT (HVDC) TECHNOLOGY HAS
characteristics that make it especially attractive for certain transmission applications. HVDC transmission is widely recognized as being advantageous for long-distance bulk-power delivery, asynchronous interconnections, and long
submarine cable crossings.

In the past the ability to convert AC to DC and back as well as problems in increasing the voltage did cause problems with long distance DC transmission. These problems have been overcome and there are less line losses in DC transmission lines than in AC lines.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
Edison DC world. We would have electric lights and possibly the radio and I'd be tapping this out in morse code. Would we be at the same level of technology with a dc system?

Wood work but can't!
G
Sometime in the late70s/early 80s we finally reached a point in our technology where a DC system might actually work. The first thing your TV, PC or most "transformerless" power supply electronics is convert the line voltage to 170vdc or so where it is chopped up into 20kz or so and dropped in little torroids to the voltage you need.
The flaw in Edison's system is they did not have the semiconductors to do that.

Greg Fretwell
S
A few years ago I heard about HVDC transmission and it sounds promising. Howerever it came 100 years too late. Sorry Mr . Edison It could be benificial for developing countries and even in our country with replacing of old infrastructure. I could google it, but does any one have reliable info on HVDC transmission?

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard