ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#167262 08/08/07 09:32 PM
D
derater Offline OP
Cust. wants 200 to 400a upgrade to account for added load at new pole blg. Is it allowed to serve the pole blg. via 2nd set of lugs in 400a MB ? At 120 ft. from MB to blg., feeding 100a panel w/main, what calculation do I use for cable size ? Also what's best method to bond blg. skin ? Thanks, Dan.

L
LK Offline
Originally Posted by derater
Cust. wants 200 to 400a upgrade to account for added load at new pole blg. Is it allowed to serve the pole blg. via 2nd set of lugs in 400a MB ? At 120 ft. from MB to blg., feeding 100a panel w/main, what calculation do I use for cable size ? Also what's best method to bond blg. skin ? Thanks, Dan.

Dan,

You say, he wants 200 to 400a upgrade, did you do the load calcs., to determine what he really needs?
If you need to ask about calculation for cable size, your most likely over your head with the job.

LK #167284 08/09/07 11:54 AM
Z
Sorry derater, I would have to go with LK on this. Cable size calcs are first year, if not first month, apprentice material. If you don't know, you should at least know where to look.

This job isn't replacing a bad light switch. Please hire a qualified professional. Nobody wants to see you hurt yourself or anybody else.

D
derater Offline OP
I've done dozens of upgrades, just none quite like this one. Main ? was using 2nd lug to go DIRECTLY to other blg. On cable size; yeah I can reference the table same as anyone; thought someone would know off the top of their head. Existing service is 200a. H/O added attached garage, 24 x 24 addition, heated swimming pool, hot tub, and lots of landscape lighting. Pole blg is for auto repair and restoration shop w/ welders, compressor and of course lights and receptacles. Did I do a load calc, on NEC embossed paper, no. Who here thinks upgrade unnecessary ?

L
LK Offline
Originally Posted by derater
I've done dozens of upgrades, just none quite like this one. Main ? was using 2nd lug to go DIRECTLY to other blg. On cable size; yeah I can reference the table same as anyone; thought someone would know off the top of their head. Existing service is 200a. H/O added attached garage, 24 x 24 addition, heated swimming pool, hot tub, and lots of landscape lighting. Pole blg is for auto repair and restoration shop w/ welders, compressor and of course lights and receptacles. Did I do a load calc, on NEC embossed paper, no. Who here thinks upgrade unnecessary ?

"yeah I can reference the table same as anyone"

This job needs to be calculated, there is no table for it.

No one is saying the upgrade is not necessary, were just saying, you have to calculate, and layout the job, it's not a typical, single dwelling service upgrade.

In our utility area, on job like you described, we have to submit a load sheet to the utility before we can proceed.

Try to get all the information, on the existing loads, and the intended loads, for the pole barn. Use scrap paper, no needd for anything formal.

"Pole blg is for auto repair"

You will need to know all the loads for that building, not just I am using it for a repair shop. Get some figures and we can start working thru it.

Take a look at this link http://ecmweb.com/mag/electric_commercial_load_calculations/

Last edited by LK; 08/09/07 11:32 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard