ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 516 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
Here's what I don't like about these threads. We look at an ugly but code compliant installation (perhaps the SER needs to be neatened up a bit) and start ripping it apart. Yes, it looks awful.

But some questions need to be asked: Were any of us there at the install? Did anybody here bid on it? The point I'm trying to make is that we don't know the circumstances of why this happened. The building itself looks pretty crummy and I highly doubt the owners were willing to pay big bucks to get a first class electrical job. So this is the end result. It's always easier to say "what if they did it that way" when it's someone else's money.

Peter
Peter:
Yes, sometimes we at the forum are nit pickers. Some of us are neat freaks, others are fanatical at how we do things, and yes, we are critical. I happen to fall into all of the mentioned catagories, so please no flaming war!

Yes, I'm from NJ, although north of this area. Yes, I was an EC, and now an AHJ.

Workmanship cannot be written in NJ. This pictured job appears to have violations, support primarily, and possible incorrect connectors at the meter stacks. As to the ty-wraps being UV rated?? who knows.

Jobs like this are usually 'low budget', low bid wins. Economical decissions prevail. Exterior cable routing as opposed to interior is costly on retrofit work, which this probably was. Knowing the state of the economy, 'ya do what ya got to do'.

As to 'crummy', as I said above a lot of the old vintage motels in Wildwood are either being converted to condos, or being demo'd and condos going up. This was probably a conversion of a 30 unit motel to 30 condos, with one 'house' meter.

John
R
Interesting set up.
I wonder how many crossed services there are.

We have similar set ups on blocks of flats although on a smaller schale like 12 or so meters.
We found a lot of transposed hotwater circuits. e.g. one service paying for 2 hotwater supplies.

It probably doesn't apply in this case because i can not see any load control relays.

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
Rodalco:
I can't say for this specific job, but on a condo type conversion like this each unit would get a panel, and everything within said unit would go to that panel. The 'unit' is probably a 'kitchen area'; 1 bedroom, 1 bath, and a 'living room area'; similar to a 'suite in an extended stay hotel. Hot water could be gas, or electric; HVAC is usually a thru-wall combo unit.

John

John
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard