ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#167015 08/04/07 02:01 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Hi Guys,
I've struck a real problem in my network here at home.
Let me explain if I can...
I set my computer up with a wireless network, that was no big issue.
Now I would like to get totally away from Windows, to do that would require me to shift files from my old computer to my new dual-boot computer that uses XP/Ubuntu.
All well and good, I got the two talking to one another, via a ping test, but I cannot transfer files between the 2 computers.
I will say that the two computers are connected via a Cat6 Cross-over cable, ie, directly.
What has gone wrong here?.
The first person that says "Windows File and Settings Transfer Wizard", will be kindly told where to go. grin
I've been around that round-about so many times it's not funny anymore.
Anyone got some REAL advice?

G
Are you sure one of the machines is set to master? I know it is supposed to work with them in auto but that has not been my experiernce.
settings,network,client for windows,printer/file sharing,properties,browse master = enabled

Greg Fretwell
J
Are you trying to copy from windows to windows or windows to linux? I will assume you have an ip address on both machines, and that the windows firewall is turned off.

If going windows/windows can you ping by name? eg 'ping desktop2'

If going windows to linux, do you have SAMBA turned on in the linux box?

G
Mike, I dunno Ubuntu, but I guess to read a file, first you need something that understands what you are trying to do. Are you sure you have a platform ready to receive "files"? A file is always produced for an operating system, prepared to be used by that system, eg. the extension is maybe not recognized by the receiver, etc.

I recommend to check whether you are able to store such files on your other pc, then if it runs, try to synchronize folders.

The world is full of beauty if the heart is full of love
G
Googled:

http://www.ozzu.com/ftopic72099.html

I'd also recommend you to try an ftp-solution. Eg. i have a store place provided by my internet provider on the net, where I can upload/download files in a mass. You should try the same.

Trumpy Offline OP
Hi All,
Sorry, I may not have made it that clear in my OP, but I intend on wiping the HDD on my last remaining dedicated Windows desktop computer and before I do, I have to transfer a lot of Ham Radio club minutes and other such files into my laptop, that will remain as a dual boot computer so that I can still use a few applications that will only work in a Windows environment, or would be too much trouble to right the necessary code to get them to work on a Linux platform.

I've made sure that the IP addresses are the same in both computers and can even ping between the two, no problems at all.
Where the wheels fall off, is when I try to move files between shared folders on both computers.
I get a prompt that comes up on the screen that tells me "Windows cannot detect the other computer on your network, please run Windows Network Set-Up Wizard and try again"
Now, I've been through this I don't know how many times and I get the same thing.
The computers can talk to each other, but for some odd reason, Windows is not detecting the 2nd computer in the network.
Personally I don't use Windows Firewall, it's garbage, I prefer to use Zone Alarm.
This is just one of the reasons why I'm looking to minimise the number of Windows computers here.

G
Is this windoze 98, xp or what? 98 doesn't talk to xp onless you add the plugins.
From my experience you shouldn't have to do anything but set file sharing on and let then negotiate a connection. I do think you can't have 2 on the network with the same ip address.

Have you run the network troubleshooter?

Greg Fretwell
W
Two computers on the same network cannot share the same ip address, make one 192.168.1.2 and the other 192.168.1.3 that should work. Robert

G
Same opinion here. Make them two on the same network and share the folders.

In this case I recommend Norton or such. Windows suxx

Last edited by Gloria; 08/07/07 03:25 AM.

G
Sometimes I find it is easier to just swap the drive into the other machine to get the files off if this is just a one time deal.
You may be able to do this by simply stringing the cable between them without actually moving the drive. I have a 3' IDE cable for doing things like this. It was how I synchronized the MP3 files on my car players before I got the file sharing working.
Use the secondary controller for the other drive (unplug the CD)

Greg Fretwell
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard