ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 215 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
K
In my opinion 98 is much easier to network than XP. In XP, you only get the wizard for setup, but in 98, you can change all the parameters yourself.

In interfacing 98 with Linux, we had problems connecting until we found an instruction online having to do with 'windows plain text password'. Even though we weren't using a password, and it wasn't asking for one. You should run into this instruction in relation to Samba.

It always was easier to see the files on the Windows machine from Linux than the other way around.

kale #167592 08/16/07 01:58 AM
I don't think they removed any of the setup options with XP; instead of right-clicking and selecting "Properties" on "Network Neighborhood", you do this through for each connection type. Most of the protocols and whatnot are common between connections if you've got multiple ones, but you can still fine tune them individually. I don't use the wizard for crap, because it never seems to work--I have to go in and add IPX/SPX anyway.

Trumpy Offline OP
Yeah,
I've just transferred a heap of music (with .wma file type) using a USB flash drive and now I'm told that Windows media player cannot play them because I'm missing the licences that go with the files.
Arrrggghh!!.
Where does this all end??.
I also tried to move over a copy of ArcSoft PhotoBase 3 (which is what I use to edit and re-size all the pics that I recieve for ECN postings, it won't work because the computer tells me I cannot open an executable file from a removable drive, even though it is stored in my HDD.
Regarding my attempt at networking these 2 computers together, I think I may have mucked something up, because I can no longer ping between either of them and sending a ping between them gives me 4 "Request timed out" messages.
The laptop is using an IP address of 192.168.0.55.
The desktop is using an IP address of 192.168.0.54.
TCP/IP is enabled on both computers.
File sharing is enabled in both computers.
As far as I can see, this "should" by rights work.
I would like to get this network working, for the sake of my sanity.
I've fiddled around with both computers and can't really see any one thing that could be causing this problem, well, nothing that stands out as an obvious error.
However, I'm all out of answers.
I've never had any problems with networking my laptop to my other Linux computer (Not the desktop I was referring to above).
Personally, as I was saying in my original post, Windows Network Set-Up Wizard is a waste of time and HDD space, it is a dead-end program.
To a degree, so is most of the so-called Trouble-shooting programs in XP.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard