ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (Scott35, ampherder), 267 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Trumpy Offline OP
OK,
One more time.
First computer is a Dell Laptop running WindowsXP/Ubuntu
The second computer is a Windows XP desktop.

This is a straight Windows-Windows transfer.
Forget Ubuntu, that is not what I am talking about, it is the simple fact that Windows does not do what it says it does.
Could someone please tell me how it is that you plug an IDE 3.5" HDD into a laptop when the pin configuration does not match, let alone the lack of a power connector.

G
... with a USB to IDE or PCMCIA to IDA adapter but I do see your problem if you don't have one in your bag of tricks.

Do you have a third machine on the network that will communicate with one of them? (only to figure out which one is broke).
Some times it is easiest to just remove the adapter and reinstall it in the software to be sure everything is set up right. Usually the default settings are the best option when you set up file sharing.

Again, what does "network troubleshooter" say about this

The other option is to put a CDR burner in the desktop (if it doesn't have one) and "sneekernet" the files over. That also gives you a backup.

Greg Fretwell
Did you try the odd trick of adding the IPX/SPX protocol?

T
ok- quick and dirty solution..

1. download WinSCP, install on windows box
2. make sure sshd is running on the linux box
3. at the windows computer, log into your linux box via WinSCP & copy everything from the winbox to /home/trumpy or wherever

WinSCP is free software

http://winscp.net/eng/index.php

this bypasses any need for samba configuration, which can be a royal PITA in its own right, mainly because the windoze side never plays nice.. always declaring itself master and blowing out everyone's netbios cache (don't get me started...)

Thats the tool I use for quick and dirty copying.. just needs tcp/ip, an ip addy and sshd. Encrypted too so its nice to use over the internet as well to transfer files and also blows past most ISP's firewalls no problem. I guess the ISP's figure if you know what ssh is and how to use it you are ok in their book.

T
on another note.. and to add to that ipx spx suggestion (which was quite good), net beui is also a simple fast useless (outside of windows world) protocol that won't require any configuration outside a unique netbios name for both machines. why torment yourself with tcpip if you are not going on the internet? Not sure if netbeui still ships with XP or any MS product but it was their flagship networking protocol, when time was...

J
Mike,
I really feel your pain. I finally bought a powerfull XP machine in June and had alot of stuff to copy from my 98SE machine. Since my old hard drive was only 36GB, transferring 2GB at a time with an $18 USB drive worked great for me. I did get a wireless router a couple weeks ago and have been suffering through that learning experience. The XP machine created an installation file for the 98 machine. I seem to remember that answering the wizard that it was a home network, assigned it to a different network name. My problem now is that my XP machine is demanding a password that I never assigned from the old machine. At least I can see both machines though. Anticipating problems, I went into Zone Alarm early on and told the one machine to allow xxx.xxx.x.2,and the other one xxx.xxx.xxx.3. If you haven't gotten it to work with a router or directly, perhaps the logging function of the router could help you troubleshoot. By the way, are you able to get to the Internet through the router from either machine? Or at least the router page?
Joe

Last edited by JoeTestingEngr; 08/08/07 08:52 PM.
T
twh Offline
I just ran the set-up thing on my wife's xp and found the shared folders with ubuntu on my machine. We're both connected to the internet through the same router.

Originally Posted by trollog
on another note.. and to add to that ipx spx suggestion (which was quite good), net beui is also a simple fast useless (outside of windows world) protocol that won't require any configuration outside a unique netbios name for both machines. why torment yourself with tcpip if you are not going on the internet? Not sure if netbeui still ships with XP or any MS product but it was their flagship networking protocol, when time was...

Not being terribly familiar with Novell protocols (but, apparently dependent on them to make everything run smoothly), I assume that NetBEUI and NetBIOS are related? The IPX/SPX protocol in XP is actually called the "NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol", and it also installs "NWLink NetBIOS" automatically.

The last time I used real Novell for anything, was under Windows 95.

G
I guess I must be the luckiest SOB around. I crank up machines on the bench all the time from scratch, (sometimes just a system board laying on the table) using the setup defaults and they always "file share" with my network without any diddling at all. I am using W/98 but I like things as easy as possible.

BTW after rereading this thread, "sneeker netting" the USB drive does seem to be the easiest solution.

I have a $50 2g USB MP3 player that looks like a drive to windoze that I don't use as much as I should for things like this.

Last edited by gfretwell; 08/11/07 12:31 PM.

Greg Fretwell
I picked up a 1GB Sandisk Flash Drive for $10 on clearance at my local Radio Shack. I have a network setup with all of my Macs, but the one Windows PC (Vista, bleh) won't talk to my OS X server (Samba turned on, Windows scrambles the password before sending, according to the log on the server.)

I say $10 well spent. iPods and MP3 players work well for this too, like Greg said.

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard