ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Can anyone recommend an inexpensive (of free) program that can make electronic mods on a drawing.

I'm working thru the final stages of a 1 year long commercial project and part of the specs require for me to submit as-builts. I have several penciled diagrams of how things were done but we'd really like to impress the GC with a clean set.

I've used AutoCAD before but just need a program that can add basic lines to a floor plan.

Any rec's?

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
L
LK Offline
Best value for $39 I can E mail you some samples of electrical we did http://www.deltacad.com/

P
Thanks LK. That looks like a good program. I'll download the free demo and give it a try.

I
ITO Offline
ZW Cad- It’s a Chinese knock off of AutoDesk/AutoCAD, that looks and feels like AutoCAD 2006, and can open and make the same .dwg file types.

It runs about $500 and comes with a 30-day free trial.

101° Rx = + /_\
I use my MS Word word processor to draw stuff. In it there is a drawing package, sure not as complete as AutoCad, [no 3D for example], but given a bit of practice it can produce astounding results. Etch a Sketch it isn’t!
Just call up the Draw toolbar then customise it to add whatever icons you need - various shapes; squares, ovals /circles, lines, triangles, arrows, fill colors, line colors, text control, text color, size of drawing scales- it will print accurately to scale. I have an A3 printer but it works fine on A4.
Let me say that if you’ve never used a CAD package before, getting results is a long learning curve. I speak as an ex draughtsman- these packages certainly ain’t designed by drafting folks, so don’t think your going to get immediate sparkling results!
I’ll e-mail you a couple of pics* of the ‘word’ screen toolbar I use and a drawing, which will appear shortly here c/o moderator.
[ *For some reason we weren’t able to put Word docs direct into the ECN server last time I tried, but pics worked fine. ]

Hope this helps,

Alan

Wood work but can't!
P
I taught myself AutoCAD in the early '80's when it came on 5.25" disks. The drawing will be given to me in AutoCAD so I think they'll expect it back in a format they can use. The DeltaCAD can work with DXF files so I probably go that route.
I appreciate all the ideas. This site is awesome.

J

L
LK Offline
Originally Posted by PE&Master
I taught myself AutoCAD in the early '80's when it came on 5.25" disks. The drawing will be given to me in AutoCAD so I think they'll expect it back in a format they can use. The DeltaCAD can work with DXF files so I probably go that route.

"The DeltaCAD can work with DXF files"

We like it because the engineer, or designers can send us the file on DXF, no problems so far, we had auto cad and it was bulky, and some of the files would corrupt, depending the version, for the $45 it was well worth it.

P

Broom Pusher and
PE&M:

I taught myself AutoCAD in the early '80's when it came on 5.25" disks.

If you have dealt with AutoCAD of any version - and pretty much any CAD Application, there should not be any real shock involved when using a newer package.

Some of the greater things about the newer packages for a GUI (as opposed to real mode environment versions and "Shells") is you may open multiple instances under one running application, along with "Thumbnail Previews" of drawing files.

The commands - in basic form - are still the same, with a few being revised.

LISP routines are more complex, and now VBA is an option.

OLE works much nicer in the newer versions.

The drawing will be given to me in AutoCAD so I think they'll expect it back in a format they can use.

I am curious if they will submit the ACAD files in the "Most Recent Version Possible", or if they will give you something from a few releases back!

Also, look out for bloated files with hundreds of layers, and be specific that they bind all XREFs + Shape Fonts (.SPF) before sending the files - or you will be looking at missing reference text and other fun errors!

The DeltaCAD can work with DXF files so I probably go that route.

If you can get the files in Drawing Exchange Format (.DXF), and the Delta CAD Application is able to open it, please let me know what AutoCAD release they compiled the DXF file in, -vs- the version of Delta CAD you have.
(just for personal references)

Darn right this place rocks!!!

BTW, another "CAD Work Around" involves having the sending party submit the CAD drawing as a .PDF plot file (or as a .TIF), then place it as a base layer in your Word or Graphics application.
Insert text, lines and symbols on new layers built up on top of the original base layer.

This works for any contacts whom do not have a CAD Application.

Scott

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard