ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 255 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Z
Whoa, back up here.

If you want what you paid for, which is High Def, then you don't want to run the actual coax behind the TV mount. They do have a "smart card" that your Cable or Sat provider can install in your TV instead of using a HiDef converter box, but I've seen nothing but problems with those.

To get the HiDef I'm sure you want, run the co-ax to your tuner box that is located on a counter top or in a cabinet close to the TV. From there, run an HDMI cable (looks like a USB on steriods) from the box, through the wall, and emerging hidden behind the TV. I use ring boxes and I custom drill blank covers for this application. Use rubber grommets in the holes if using a stainless blank cover.

Power is hidden behind the TV, and any extra cable is zip-tied to the parts of the mounting bracket arm that will not pinch the cable during repositioning.

The result should be a floating TV with no hint of any cables or connections, and a HiDef picture that will blow your mind (as it should for the price).

Good Luck!

From there, run an HDMI cable (looks like a USB on steriods) from the box, through the wall, and emerging hidden behind the TV.

The only thing I see wrong with this is usually that cable is not listed for in wall use ???

Seems most of the installs I see use the component inputs as there is cable that is colored and rated for in wall use.

G
In the big entertainment rooms my wife built they put 2" smurf in the wall for the cables coming into 4x4 deep boxes

Greg Fretwell
Z
Thanks gfretwell, I failed to mention the smurf conduit.

The component cables will NOT give you HiDef, although they may be used if you don't want to get, or don't have, an actual HiDef converter box.

This is a very common mistake when people hook up their new HiDef TVs. The HDMI will give you HiDef, but neither the component, the SVIDEO or the coax can. Get what you paid for and pop for the HDMI. You won't be sorry.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard