ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 266 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#166655 07/25/07 11:09 AM
I went to quote a service Upgrade in a Renovation in an existing Basement suite.
Job was accepted and all the details of what was needed was discussed and proposal signed.
What Happened was their reno contractor was in a rush to insulate the ceiling and he installed recess cans in an area that i was told nothing was needed for electrical. I show up and see 3 cans installed and wired to the existing lighting circuit. He has insulated and put up the vapor barrier. There was no count done on how many outlets are on the circuit. the existing light outlet box was used as a J Box and is only a 1 1/2 deep box and there is 5, 14/2 nm cables entering it..This reno guy is very adamant that this shouldn't of been an issue and I am having a hard time trying to deal with him trying to explain that he isn't allowed to do this. I even showed him a copy of the brochure that the safety branch has out about guys like him and he didn't want to even discuss it.I have taken a permit out on this job.

this guy has to be stopped as this is his career and will continue doing this type of unqualified work.

What Happened was their reno contractor was in a rush to insulate the ceiling and he installed recess cans in an area that i was told nothing was needed for electrical.

As long as people have a "Get it done now Now NOW! for the least possible cost (in some cases)" attitude, good luck stopping them.

Ian A.

Last edited by Theelectrikid; 07/25/07 12:08 PM.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
E
Doug:

Since you said that you will have pulled a permit, can't you just let the inspector be the judge on this matter? You can always "gently" point this out to him to make sure he doesn't miss it.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
G
I used Ed's technique on a Commercial job a few years ago.
The EC was going on his merry way over my objections. Then we got to the final, with the City Inspector in tow.
He looked at the job, I mentioned to him that it wasn't something that I thought was done right.
He said (and I quote) "Nice Catch" and made the EC rip it out and do it right.

A side benefit was that I had no problems with anyone on the site blowing off my comments from that day forward, knowing that they just might need to do it over on their own dime.

Ghost307
Well I hope this is resolved the reno contractor removed his cans and put the original fixture back

Originally Posted by dougwells
Well I hope this is resolved the reno contractor removed his cans and put the original fixture back

smile Score one: Electrician

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

Link Copied to Clipboard