ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 216 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
Bob, I was just kidding

Ian (both) looking back on my post, I meant to just ask a quetion, and I came across as a little too scornful, I came across as sounding like "I don't think you can do the work" when I meant to say "where and how did you learn to do the work," maybe I'm just a bit jealous, I would've loved to have this oppertunity a few years ago.
I searched the Falls Township codes website, they had a chapter on plumbing, but not electrical work, maybe the state issues permits for electric??? (In the state of Washington only the major cities have their own permits/inspections, all the smaller towns, cities, and suburbs use the state)

edit: re-read one of Ian's posts, he obviously knows a lot more about permitting in his town then I could learn through 5 min of searching on-line
-Will "sticking my foot in my mouth, again" D.

Last edited by Elviscat; 07/25/07 06:16 PM. Reason: I'm stooopid
L
LK Offline
Some information on title insurance:

Depending on the title company, consumers can choose among a variety of options, but the top three choices are Owners, Lender's and Extended Coverage.

Basic Owner's Title Policy Coverage:
Clear title to the property
Incorrect signatures on documents
Forgery, fraud
Defective recordation
Restrictive covenants
Encumbrances or judgments

Basic Lender's Title Policy Coverage:
Mechanic's liens and unrecorded liens
Unrecorded easements and access rights
Defects and other unrecorded documents

Extended Owner's Coverage
[Building permit violations from previous owners]
Subdivision maps
Covenant violations from previous owners
Living trusts
Structure damage from mineral extractions
Variety of encroachments and forgeries after title insurance is issued

The issue is, if they have the title insurance, they are protected from liability issues from the previous owner, including
permit violations, from previous owners.

In order for the current homeowners policy to stay whole, it is their responsibality to obtain permits when and where required.

Last edited by LK; 07/25/07 08:10 PM.
LK:
You said "some towns in NJ refuse to inspect HO permits"
I have to ask.....what towns, and WHY?
Not to preach NJUCC to the forum.....but....HO who resides/owns single family, can do elec (& plumb).
Permit would be required for Ian's job, and based on his drawing and the 'correct' answers regarding wiring method & box fill, he would be on his way. As to the legality...his parents would have to fill out & sign the app's, as he is still a minor & the property is not 'owned'; by him.

That part said...
Ian...call the Twp before you re-rant please.
All this may have been in vain.

John

PS: I would like to see a clearer version of your plan, and you should have notes indicating box sizes & wiring method to be installed.

Please e-mail it to me to keep the forum open.
John

John
L
LK Offline
Originally Posted by HotLine1
LK:
You said "some towns in NJ refuse to inspect HO permits"
I have to ask.....what towns, and WHY?
Not to preach NJUCC to the forum.....but....HO who resides/owns single family, can do elec (& plumb).
based on his drawing and the 'correct' answers regarding wiring method & box fill, he would be on his way.

Not to inspect, but to issue permit.

Milltown, applicant had no plans.

Old Bridge, applicant for inground pool, same thing no plans.

Homeowners call us to ask for plans, and would we instruct them on installation.

John,

while your here, what is the issue with more then two family, needing sealed enginering prints?

Last edited by LK; 07/25/07 09:21 PM.
B
While is is correct that many areas do not require a permit or inspection for improvements under a certain dollar amount, they almost ALWAYS require it if there is plumbing or electrical work involved. For instance, the rule will read: A permit and inspection shall be required for improvements costing over $500.00, OR ANY improvement involving plumbing or electrical work. This is also true of licensing requirements in my state. An unlicensed person may perform work under a certain dollar amount, UNLESS it involves plumbing or electrical work. The local unlicensed handy persons do not seem to ever read past the word "unless".

Originally Posted by HotLine1
That part said...
Ian...call the Twp before you re-rant please.
All this may have been in vain.

That I'm not doing. (Next time I need to rant, I'll go to Blogger or something else...) And I have a feeling it might have been for nothing.

Originally Posted by Hotline1
PS: I would like to see a clearer version of your plan, and you should have notes indicating box sizes & wiring method to be installed.

Please e-mail it to me to keep the forum open.
John

Will do.

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
L
LK Offline
"inspection shall be required for improvements costing over $500.00"

Here in jersey a job under $500 does not require a written contract, however there is no lower limit on when you need a permit.

Different areas, different rules.

C
FWIW, I un-officially started in the electrical trade when I was 14 (running romex and wiring stuff). Now, as to the quality of the work I did, that's another story all together! wink Let's just say it would probably make for a few good "violation" pictures.

Peter
W
Hello everyone, this seems like a good thread for my first post. In my part of the world, HO can get permits and do his/her own work, but all work must stand inspection. Small jobs<$500 do not have to be permitted at all.

Jimmy

Life is tough, Life is tougher when you are stupid
Wire twister,

Welcome to ECN! smile

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard