ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 266 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#165616 07/01/07 06:19 PM
Cat Servant
Was / is this method .... Romex straight to the WH, no disconnect ... ever allowed, anywhere?

[Linked Image]

Personally, I'd rather see a cord & plug used.

R
John, I have done it when the panel is with in sight of the water heater, as a matter of fact, my own house is done this way.

Panel and water heater are both in the basement.

Roger

C
This is typical in my area. Most appliances are hardwired with romex.

This may be unusual in "cord land" (Western US states) but it's normal here.

Peter
L
Thats a standard installation in FL in sight of the panel

Cat Servant
Glad to hear it ... I've been accustomed to using MC or flex for these sort of connections.

M
Standard in Canada for residential and commercial. No local disconnects are required for water heaters, just the breaker. AC90 or a sleave of flex for mechanical protection is often required. Why do you think a cord and plug would be better? I think it would just add another uneccessary connection, expense, and failure point.

Last edited by mikesh; 07/18/07 12:38 PM. Reason: add a question
Cat Servant
A piece of Romex, sailing through the air, just doesn't seem right to me- even when proper connectors are used.
Many times, there is no box at all - just a piece of wire coming thrugh a hole in the wall.

IMO, some kind of metal flex would be better.

I really think that anything that will need replacement ought to have some means at the appliance to disconnect. If nothing else, it reduces the temptation to work hot, and is much more convenient when troubleshooting.

I like cords & plugs, simply because there is less opportunity for the plumber, the HVAC guy, whoever to touch the electrical system. I really don't want them to begin to think they're electricians, too!

E
I've seen flex, EMT or PVC nearly everywhere that I have been in Florida, but here in Virginia, they are still hardwired with Romex like in the original picture. Mine even had the Romex secured to the cold water line with electrical tape.

I agree with you about having a disconnecting means for servicing and physical protection. When I finished my basement, I went ahead and installed a disconnect and ran PVC to the HWH from the ceiling. I only did this because I wanted to. I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure that it's still not required here, even if the panel isn't within sight.

Of course, ranges and dryers must be cord/plug connected, but hardwired Romex to wall ovens, cooktops, dishwashers, disposals and water heaters are still quite the norm here.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
Cat Servant
I again stress that I posted this as a 'discussion' topic .... meaning I wasn't sure at all that there was any violation - but I was sure we all had ideas about making it better!

E
really, I don't see any problems with this install, in this kind of setting I just don't see much, if any, possibility for physical damage severe enough to damage romex. In Seattle we do have to sleave in flex.

Just my $0.02
Will

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard