ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 255 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
B
BigB Offline OP
Just curious how some handle this. Example: A residential service call, the pool motor keeps blowing fuses. You get there and discover the motor needs to go into the shop. So now you have to return the next day to re install it. Do you charge for two service calls? One and a half? Service call for the initial visit and hourly for the second? All in all it is about 1/2 hr each visit and 1/2 hr driving each visit.

This could be for any call that requires a return trip, just trying to establish a policy.

Thanks in advance

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
Cat Servant
You charge one price for the diagnosis / initial call ... then apply it in full to the price of a completed repair. One job, one price.

E
We charge an initial service call rate that covers travel and incidentals. This covers the first hour on-site. We charge per quarter-hour for additional time spent there.

If we are required to return for any reason that was associated with the first visit, we just continue it as if we never left. We just charge quarter-hour increments for the return visit.

I KNOW that we are losing money by doing things this way since the bulk of the cost is getting to the customer's site. We just look at it as an incentive to get it done right the first time. When all else fails, the customer appreciates the savings while still appreciating the fact that we need to be paid something for our time. We hope that when they really need something done where we can charge full rates, they will call again. So far, it seems to be working.

Fine print on the invoice explaining that repair attempts are a good-faith effort to save the customer from expensive replacements seems to give us some firm footing.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
M
I'm with Reno on this .

L
LK Offline
Originally Posted by EV607797
We charge an initial service call rate that covers travel and incidentals. This covers the first hour on-site. We charge per quarter-hour for additional time spent there.

If we are required to return for any reason that was associated with the first visit, we just continue it as if we never left. We just charge quarter-hour increments for the return visit.

I KNOW that we are losing money by doing things this way since the bulk of the cost is getting to the customer's site. We just look at it as an incentive to get it done right the first time. When all else fails, the customer appreciates the savings while still appreciating the fact that we need to be paid something for our time. We hope that when they really need something done where we can charge full rates, they will call again. So far, it seems to be working.

Fine print on the invoice explaining that repair attempts are a good-faith effort to save the customer from expensive replacements seems to give us some firm footing.

Quote: "We charge per quarter-hour for additional time spent there."

That method of charging is ok if your a service provider for someone that is providing you with recurring revenue, such as a phone company or utility, that earns their income, on the basic services, and then provides service calls at the reduced rate to retain customer accounts, something you can't afford to do in the electrical service market.

Quote: "I KNOW that we are losing money by doing things this way since the bulk of the cost is getting to the customer's site."

If I know there is a loss, I make sure the same procedure is not repeated.

Quote: "We hope that when they really need something done where we can charge full rates, they will call again."

(Hope) it's not the 5 to 8 years, for residential repeat calls.

L
LK Offline
Someone calls on a pool motor, one way that works well is charge them a service call anywhere from $90 to $159 depending on your cost of operating, then when you arrive do your troubleshoot, if the pump itself has a problem, you can offer some options, new replacement pump is uaually best option if the existing pump has some years on it, or take it to a repair shop where it may cost more for the repair then a new pump, either way, you will most likely be making a return trip, and are intitled to charge for your travel and repair time, so an easy way would be to give them a flat rate for your return visit, washer repair man charged us $90 for 10 minute troubleshoot, then made up repair estimate, $270, so had we decided to have it repaired we would have paid $270 on his next call, whatever it costs to do the repair, you need to get paid for your work, unless your running a charity operation.

J
Originally Posted by BigB
Just curious how some handle this. Example: A residential service call, the pool motor keeps blowing fuses. You get there and discover the motor needs to go into the shop.

Thanks in advance

I USUALLY tell them that the motor needs to be replaced and that they should call a pool guy. I write up an invoice for a service call and I'm on my way.

Once in a while I will go the extra step and replace the motor but it ends up taking a few hours just to take it in or find a whole new unit. Then what happens if I break a pipe or valve trying to install the new one.

If it is out of my scope (the electrical system that operates the motor) I generally have them call someone who does that for a living.

T
We do the initial service call and include it with the total bill and have been for years. However if we leave the job to take the motor to the shop, pick it back up and reinstall it we charge for ALL the time incurred. You cannot use your truck and pay your guys to run errands for free! We've never had a complaint.

Ie just got a check from a guy who had two Casablanca fans get hit by lightning. We suggested lightning arrestors and installed the Delta LA302 and CA302 for $175. We had to make about 4 trips total taking the fans to the repair shop and picking them up twice.

The total bill was around $1400 for parts and labor. However two men were required to handle the 16' ladder due to the high ceiling.

Two ceiling fans in a home, diagnosed, repaired and reinstalled $1400.

Link Copied to Clipboard