ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
G
GA76JW Offline OP
I went to a friend's house today and he had a problem with a circuit in his basement. It was easily fixed by replacing a receptacle. But, upon further inspection of his panel, I was slightly baffled.

Someone had taken a 200 Amp Siemens load center and converted it to a 100 Amp panel. I know this is kinda common, but the way it was done had me a little confused. They completely bypassed the Main Breaker knockout at the top and used a 100 Amp breaker in spots 1 and 3 to feed it. The spot where the main breaker was supposed to be was not knocked out so there is not live parts exposed. I just can't seem to find anything in the code that covers this type of installation.

Can anyone give me a clue if this is allowed? And the applicable article to look at for reference?

"If common sense was common, everyone would have it"-not sure, someone here

E
e57 Offline
You won't find it in the NEC really. More of a listing issue.

Yes, this is allowed if the instructions on, or with the panel are followed for the use of the approved breaker hold-down device.

Usually a plastic clip, or metal screw that holds the breaker in. Often you'll find the 'hold-down kit' part number on the sticker, not far from the 'ground bar' part number or other acessories. And on the circuit diagram it will show where it can be placed.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
N
The hold down requirement only came about in the 1990 NEC if done prior to adoption of same, hold down was not required.(but if done at that time I-T-E name would be on panel)

E
e57 Offline
Well now I'm asking the same question - where would it be????? confused

Mark Heller
A
You made me work to find this one. It should be in Article 240, but they hid it in 408.16(F)
Next time I'll make sure I have my Ferm's Finder. smile

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.
E
e57 Offline
Thanks Alan! I looked all over the place - I think I even glanced over that one and failed to see it.

Mark Heller
G
GA76JW Offline OP
Wow thanks guys. That tells me a lot more. I really couldn't say if it was done before then or not. I'll have to look to see the manufacturing date of the panel next time I'm over there to try to get an idea of when it may have been done.

I learn more from you guys here than I seem to do on the job. I don't post much, but I learn a ton from reading.

Thanks to the replies e57, NORCAL and Alan.

Last edited by GA76Apprentice; 07/15/07 05:22 PM.

"If common sense was common, everyone would have it"-not sure, someone here

A
That's what inspectors get the big bucks for.
smile

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.

Link Copied to Clipboard