ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#166120 07/13/07 06:35 AM
T
In September I plan a one week trip to Ireland. Mostly it will be classic sightseeing, but of course I can't leave without a few electrical souvenirs wink
Any suggestions? My ideas go along the lines of some plugs, sockets, switches, boxes and maybe 10m T&E. Down side: since this is going to be a back pack trip I'm a little restricted on luggage...

C
C-H Offline
LOL!

I think some people would find us just a little bit excentric.

I have to admit that I bought a swiss plug and trailing socket in Zürich last week. In Rome I picked up an extension cord. And I once sneaked off a romantic weekend in Paris to buy a socket. Another time I started to pick apart the panel in a girl's student apartment in France...

I was in Dublin in April, but settled for beer, whiskey and some photos.

T
I already warned my girlfriend that one visit to the DIY store will also be on the schedule wink
She didn't even scream wink

D
djk Offline
Where are you visiting ?

Just remember hotels frown upon guests removing electrical fittings laugh

Any DIY store carries a range of electrical fittings i.e. plugs, sockets, switches, etc etc.
If you want the full range try the 'big box' stores like Woodie's DIY, B&Q, Homebase etc.

For the most part, the fittings are identical to the UK. Only major differences are found on the distribution board i.e. radials rather than rings and different fuses etc

We had a major problem with tourist taking cast iron finger post direction signs in the West of Ireland a few years ago. Some guy was arrested in Shannon airport trying to check in a huge cast iron sign !!

I'll keep an eye out for obscure stories about a strange tourist caught trying to remove unusual 1960s light switches from a pub in Kerry laugh

Anyway, if you're around give me an e-mail / PM me on the board. Could always meet up for a pint!

Last edited by djk; 07/14/07 10:07 AM.
T
*looool*
Not going to take out any hotel (or rather hostel) fittings laugh
However, your story reminds me of a class mate once trying to check in a NYC street sign at the John F. Kennedy airport...

We didn't figure out a route so far, the only known fact is we'll fly to and from Dublin and want to spend some time there.
Will be the first week of september... would be fun to meet the first ECN member real life!

D
djk Offline
Unfortunately, the first week of Sept. is the one week I won't be here.

Maybe can catch you some other time smile

E
first souvineer I bought during my trip to Ireland was a strip of "chok-block" (sp?) connectors, and a foot of T&E, hey, the hotel I was staying at was only a block away from a hardware store grin

P
O.K., can anybody translate the following into Gaelic?

"Sir, you are not allowed to take that 100kVA transformer on board as hand luggage, and by the way there are some gentlemen from the Garda and ESB who would like to talk to you?"

grin

D
djk Offline
Both Ryanair and Aer Lingus ground crew get a % of the over-weight charges on check-in baggage.

More likely response "Sir, did you pack that transformer yourself? Do you have a credit card handy? Your baggage slightly over-weight! That will be €18,000"

Last edited by djk; 07/17/07 07:45 PM.
P
Your baggage slightly over-weight! That will be €18,000

Ouch! grin

Link Copied to Clipboard