ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 516 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
pauluk Offline OP
These are definitely aimed at new pipework, although note the "retro fit" clamps on that page as well.

I see a couple of issues. If the crimp does not go properly first time, what could you do except abandon it and fit a normal clamp? (Well, unless you're going to pull apart the new plumbing, which seems unlikely.)

The other thing I find kind of odd is that these are clearly aimed at plumbers. Now plumbers don't usually get involved with running main bonds and the like. They might bond across their plastic couplings if you're lucky, and that seems to be what's hinted at.

So if these solder fittings are mainly intended for bonding across plastic couplers, what exactly is the point?

By the time you've soldered three of these to the pipes, then cut and soldered short lengths of pipe to each one to go into the "quick fit" plastic coupler, wouldn't it have been quicker to just solder the three pipes straight into a sweated T-joint in the first place and avoid the need for separate bonding cables? confused

The thing that annoys me the most about these cheap fittings, is the fact they will not carry fault currents in the thousands of Amps if the Main Neutral to the house should break.
I would say (just by looking at the "weld") that 1000A would blow that joint apart.
That should not happen with any Earting or Bonding Conductor.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard