ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#16588 11/13/02 05:27 PM
I was wondering how long it takes to get an electrical permit where you guys are??
Small jobs, and large jobs.
Are plans required for "small jobs", and if so are plans drawn up by the EC accepted??
Do you have "Plan Review" in your areas??
John

John
M
mj Offline
walk in, of fax in a request for a permit, pay up to 7 days later,

E
Mass: Give us the money we'll give you the permit. Generally that simple.

N
Any jurisdiction in California (that I have experience with)
Submit plans to plan check. Start building the job because the schedule is tight and the general is pushing. 1 month later> still waiting for plans to come out of plan check< Job is now at the point where thing need to be covered up. All the owners reps state in the meetings how they will get the permit pushed thru in the next couple of days. (Because this client is so important and has so much clout you know) >3 more weeks go by< job is at stand still because there is still no permit issued and owners reps have pissed of the AHJ. They refuse to do courtesy inspections. About this time plans come back from plan check usually with comments and stamped "revise and re submit." Resubmitals usually don't take to long if there are not to many corrections. By this time there has been multiple changes to the job and the current drawings don't match the submited drawings any way. [Linked Image]
Basically 6 to 8 weeks for plan check review and issuance of a permit for medium to large commercial job. Then, you have to deal with the utility design engineers for there requirements and design. I better not even get started on that! [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Nick (edited 11-13-2002).]

Broom Pusher and
Nick,

LOL!!! ROTFLOL!!!

I'm gonna copy / paste that text and print it !!! (with your permission, of course [Linked Image]...)

Scott s.e.t.

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
N
Sure Scott. No problem. I was just feeling cynical last night. [Linked Image]

Nick, you're not cynical, you're an incredible optimist!!
Add to this working by the beach, Coastal Commission, etc.
How about an endangered bug or toad?
On the converse, I walked into the City of Montebello for a TI permit involving quite a bit of machinery, plans (3 sets) in hand...and walked out with a permit.

Yes, the truth comes out after the "prejob" meetings. "RFI's will be answered in a day" (I've waited 4 months).
I usually take a minirecorder into job meetings, turn it on, and set it in the middle of the table. It makes some of the other guys mad, but it sure cuts down on the BS.

F
Tape recorder at a progress meeting?I'll bet the GC doesn't like that.As far as permits around here we can put money up front with the inspection department and phone or fax in permit requests for smaller jobs ie service upgrades new spec homes and small commercial.As for plan revue as long as the plans are on file the inspectors assume you have the intent of purchasing a permit and will grant an inspection.Any questions or concerns the inspector has about design issues will be noted at inspection time and passed on in written form to the plan revue board,the GC,the owners rep and the electrical contractor.This sure helps when it comes to change orders to correct drawing errors

E
The electrical permit is always just walk in, pay fee, get permit. It can be quite diferent for the GC to get the main permit. On a City of Atlanta job we're wiring the city approved the plans and issued the permit for a detached 3 car garage and apartment. Then the building inspector slapped a stop work order after at the drywall stage and ordered them to go back to review. In the end, they had to get a variance because the project was 3% larger than allowed in comparison to the main house.

I get online......browse through the ECN forum....drink coffee...etc...etc. Then, I bump over to the City of Houston web site, log in, fill out the form, pay with a credit card, and usually have the permit in a matter of hours, via fax. If for some reason the inspector requires additional permits, he will tell me as the job progresses. We used to have to go downtown, and stand in line. I love the internet.

Regards,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard