ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#165669 07/02/07 09:32 PM
K
kinetic Offline OP
I had some copper thieves cut all of my homeruns in a residential job I am working on. The easiest fix is to run the wires into a couple of subpanels. Most will be long enough to reach but the only place for subpanels is in a large walk in closet. I will be able to retain my working clearances and the nearest shelving will be 2ft away from the closest panel location. Anyway around 240-24(d) or am I looking at replacing all my homeruns in the house?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Cat Servant
Only place is in the forbidden closet? nonsense.

Hallways. Stairwell landings. Garage. Laundry room. Kitchen. There is no shortage of good places.

Want an easy way to hide it? Place it where an open door will block the view.

K
kinetic Offline OP
Hallways are full of arched niches, garage was the orginal location, single story house, laundry room on the opposite end of the house. The layout of the house has all the bedrooms on the panel side of the house. The main living spaces in the middle and any mechanical rooms, laundry rooms, etc. on the opposite side. Do large walk in closets really pose that much of a problem? I have seen more combustible material next to a garage subpanel than I care to see. I would put the panels behind the doors to keep them from being blocked. This house was a bear for long wire pulls and really not looking foward to repulling all of the homeruns. Hoping I might find a grey area.

G
You could put J boxes in the closets and extend to the original panel.

Greg Fretwell
C
The last house that I wired was a 400 amp service and they stole my panels (cut the wire just above the panels) and I contacted my local county inspecter and told him what I was planning to do. I took a smaller 100 amp panel and gutted it out and mounted it above the new panel and used this as a large junction box. I simply put connectors in the top and bottom and extended the wire. This was actually in the basement bu the covers that come with the small panels dont look to bad ( I just didn't remove any of the cover knock outs) Plassed with no problems
Chris

G
240-24(D) doesn't leave a lot of gray...it just says "no way".

Ghost307
C
Out of curiosity, does anyone know what year 240.24(d) was added to the code?
I'm constantly coming across fuseboxes, old XO and Zinsco type subs in entry, hall, and bedroom closets. Even in cupboards. It seems as though this must have been an accepted practice back when.

G
"easily ignited" has been in the code virtually forever but the "clothes closet" part was added in the 80s

Greg Fretwell
K
kinetic Offline OP
Is there a stipulation as when a "clothes closet" becomes a room....such as size? Some of these closets a so massive they really become much more than a simple closet with bifold doors.

The inspector allowed me to make lockable cabinet doors with a face frame to cover the panels.

J
JJM Offline
I appears "easiest" is the operative word, but why does "easist" have to be part of the equation?

You originally decided on those homeruns for a reason, so why should you let some thief change your entire wiring plan? Anyone else who looks at this job and see's this box of wire nuts will no doubt wonder what kind of hack did this.

It's your reputation and licens, I know it's a real bummber to redo those homeruns but you shouldn't be looking for shortcuts on a brand new wiring job.

Joe

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard