ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
A
It isn't just NJ.
Mobile Homes (AKA= caravans) are typically manufactured to HUD standards which as a Federal regulation superceeds state and local rules.
The HUD rules are in part 3280 of the Federal Registery.
section 3280.804(f) "The distribution panelboard shall not be located in a bathroom, or in any other inaccessible location, but shall be permitted just inside a closet entry if the location is such that a clear space of 6 inches to easily ignitable materials is maintained in front of the distribution panelboard, and the distribution panelboard cover can be opened to its full position (at least 90 degrees). A clear working space 30 inches wide and 30 inches in front of the distribution panelboard shall be provided. This space shall extend from the floor to the top of the distribution panelboard."
The basic rule is if it has a HUD label all you look at is the park equipment and the connection to the breaker in the panel in the home. I always note the HUD number on my inspection report. Watch for the HVAC guy that might put the ground on the neutral bar.
Note there is a bare #8 with lugs at the tail light end that ties the frames of double wide units together. Make sure they make the connection.
Many still consider Elkhart as the MH/RV capitol of the world.

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Alan:
Thank you for painstakingly typing all of that.
Yes, the HUD info is recorded by me on the tech card, and yes, we do the service insp only, and the bonding jumper is also a 'ditto'.
This was the first unit that I came upon with the panel in the clothes closet. Bless HUD

John
Originally Posted by HotLine1

and the bonding jumper is also a 'ditto'.

I rode my bike down to Trailerville the other day to go to someone's birthday party. I rode by the park manager's house, and noticed about 30 8AWG copper jumpers with lugs in the back of his truck...

I'm still trying to figure out how much they pay Falls Township to let those shacks slide through inspections. A new doublewide up there has SE, yes SE cable and a #14 green wire tywrapped to the skirting as its service! mad

Sorry for the threadjack.

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard