ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#16559 11/13/02 12:26 PM
S
I'm bidding a job at a local gas station, to take down existing canopy lights and replace with new ones. I'm not sure the brand that is up there, but they look like a standard that is used in my area. They are 2ft. square metal halide fixtures. My question is: can anyone advise me on the weight of them and can one man working off a lift install them safely? I have looked in the lithonia catalog and my guess is that they are about 35 to 40 lbs. I can't find the actual one that is there. Any help would be appreciated... Steve [Linked Image]

W
The old fixtures can be made lighter by removing ballasts. I've done this many times standing on 12ft step ladder so doing it on a man lift should be a piece of cake. You may need someone on the roof if they are bolted up there, Some are tech screwed, some are bolted with a bracket on the roof
Are you putting up Scottsdales?, 320w metal halide with the glass lenses?

S
Right now I don't know what brand. I don't believe the store owner has bought them yet. Since you have done quiet a few of these, are you saying they usually mount "thru the roof" or directly into the steel framing of the "canopy"? I have not done any of these before and have not checked the existing ones yet to see how they are mounted. Right now I'm just giving a bid on the job. There is a language barrier involved here... Thanks.....

W
The existing lights, if like you say, are 2 foot square boxes with a hinged plastic lense, they mount to the deck with either bolts and nuts or if newer with 4 tech screws. The deck that you see is in most cases the roof. Mobil uses some double deck jobs which are a real pain to work on
Don't see how you can bid a retrofit without knowing what is going back up. If indeed they are Scottsdales they require some patience and some labor to install.
Scottsdale actually makes a kit to fit in existing boxes, save some time and money, not sure they look as good though?

Any of you guys ever have a fixture mounted with 4 tec screws pull out of an older deck??
Man, that seems like a laywers special. What kind of shape is the decking in, if the "old" fixtures are in need of replacement??
John

John
W
"Any of you guys ever have a fixture mounted with 4 tec screws pull out of an older deck??"

No but I've seen the whole deck come down under snow load. In some canopies they Tech screw the deck to the frame!!!. When one of the babies lets go, its like a zipper, rippppppppp and done it comes.
The light is pretty much a static load so Tech screws seem to work OK.

S
Thanks for your information on the canopy lights. I was just in the preliminaries of getting a bid together. I called him back, thinking the fixtures probably was pretty heavy and gave him a bid, and He tells me someone said they could put them up for $15.00 a light and that they only weighed
2 lbs. each. I told him he better get that individual, because there was no way I could do it for that. I've ran into one of these before, I should have known, and pretty well did. They want it done for nothing I guess, and I wish I could go around and give freebees all the time, but that don't keep my lights on at the house, if you know what I mean..... [Linked Image] The heigth was probably 15 Ft. and having to dodge traffic [Linked Image] Walrus, do you do yours that cheap? I wouldn't think so... But thanks again for the great information...Steve..... [Linked Image]

W
Sparky

I generally quote $100 a light plus Time and Mileage to the site and back. I just did 8 on a canopy 100 miles from me and the bill was $1200.00. $15 a light?, in that guys dreams or your nightmare [Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard