ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 258 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#165606 07/01/07 01:13 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
submitted by Alan Nadon:
This is the C.T. (current transformer) and metering for a new 2,000 amp service. Underground feed.

[Linked Image]

This is the second picture inside the C.T. cabinet. The only wires are the utility company supply lines nothing else has been installed.

[Linked Image]

This is a close up of where the arc fault from the wires cut a hole in the bottom corner of the C.T. cabinet when someone mistakenly closed the links at the transformer.

Bad news .......cabinet damaged
Good News......... nobody got hurt.

Have a great weekend and fourth of July.

Alan Nadon

[Linked Image]

Admin #165622 07/01/07 07:04 PM
C
I bet the line mechanic got a good scare from that one!

Peter
L
In my opinion you should not leave untaped wires if one side can possibly be energized.

R
How do you get 2000A in a single 4"? Why is there blue tape on the identified conductor?
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
A
The identified conductor is being used as a phase conductor. The blue tape is to keep someone from thinking that it is the grounded/neutral leg.
The equipment inside (not installed) will be rated for 2,000 amp. The POCO sizes their conductors for the expected load.
The lineman is probably still seeing spots.

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.
R
Alan,
It looks like there are 3 phase conductors and an identified condutor. Why would the identified conductor have to be used as a phase conductor?
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
S
It looks like the black conductor in the back is smaller than the other three. That is probably why they used the striped one as the 3rd leg. It looks like they used their standard single phase UG triplex and threw in another smaller conductor for the grounded conductor.

E
That's what they do around here too. Our local power company uses 1/0 aluminum for up to a 400 amp service, so I am not surprised to see such small conductors in this application.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
F
it pretty much sum up with UG wires our POCO do pretty much the same as well here we used 1/0 AL for 400 amp service but go 600 amp they used paralled 1/0's and majorty of them used bundled triplex and they useally dont stock not too many quadplex unless unuseally large service.

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

Link Copied to Clipboard