ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
I
Originally Posted by renosteinke
I hate to 'stir the pot,' but,

But.....you will. grin

Well flexible cords are not typically allowed for taking the place of premise wiring systems.

Also connectors are a nice added feature that cord is missing but the NM in your early picture has one.

As others have said NM directly into a water heater is a fairly common install and I have yet to see one fail or be damaged.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
R
I think the flexible cord wears two hats here. It was intended to be a toilet paper holder as well as a power cord to the WH. This works much better when changing the roll than NM does wink

Roger

R
BTW, Happy Birthday Bob.

[Linked Image from gifs.net]

Roger

Cat Servant
Well, Ed, ... while I've been accused of creating things like this before ... this ia actually something I posted at ECN quite some time ago. That thread was packed with pics of some amazing hackwork in an illegal 'apartment' built within an industrial rental / storage facility. The occupant was evicted, and the apartment dismantled.

I will agree that I have yet to see any problem resulting from the proper connection of an NM whip to water heater. At least, any direct problem ... the wall tends to have a large hole where the cord exits, and I often see water damage, drywall breakage, and signs of vermin at that point. Using a box seems to eliminate these issues.

Yet, the use of a box almost always results in the box being too small, and the free wire ends being about an inch long. That's not good, either.

E
I must have either missed that one or it was before my time. I love those kinds of posts, in fact I just posted a thread of vacation photos chock-full of violations. You may have already seen them elsewhere.

I agree with you about doing it right. Here's how I reworked mine at home. Sorry about the mess in the utility room, we were cleaning it out at the time. I just ran a piece of PVC straight up from it. The disconnect is on the wall to the left of the heater. By the way, I had nothing to do with that horrible plumbing; it was done when the house was built.

[Linked Image from i98.photobucket.com]

[Linked Image from i98.photobucket.com]

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
I
Ed I don't have any issue with your solution I think it will work fine.

That said your PVC is no more code legal than running NM all the way.

Both are missing the required supports. wink

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
N
That plumbing looks to be polybutlene and was subject to a huge recall a few years ago, the electrical was already commented on, no need to say anymore...

E
As far as cord connection of water heaters go, 422.16(A) requires the WH to be "intended or identified for flexible cord connection."

I have always taken this to mean cords cannot be used to connect water heaters unless they come from the factory with a cord attached.

Earl
Cat Servant
Earlydean, there is merit to your reasoning. Another site has gone round-and-round on that very point, as applied to dishwashers. Even UL had been brought into the fray, with pronouncements worthy of the Oracle at Delphi.

The major failing of uses of flexible cords is the inadequate connection of the cord to the appliance. The cord does not have sufficient strain relief, or protection from abrasion.

I must admit that I have never seen a 'full size' electric water heater connected using a cord and plug. I have seen many small under-sink models so connected. I believe these small 120v 'hand wash' water heaters are sold with the pigtail installed.

Gas water heaters are another thing; I have seen electric igniters connected only with cord & plug.

T
Europe uses a flexible cord and wall connector unit for large appliances. Basically those connection units are a terminal strip, a strain relief and a cover that fit a standard switch box (UK connection units add a fuse and switch to that).

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard