ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#165461 06/28/07 10:41 AM
B
bman Offline OP
Have a 1200A 480V service board in dedicated electrical room. Would like to tap bus and extend conductors via conduit out top of said board across ceiling and terminate into fused SE rated disconnect switch. Installation would meet depth of working clearance and 25' tap rule. Concern is art. 230.70. Is this code legal?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
230.70(A) means whatever your AHJ says it means and you have to ask him. I don't think what you say will fly but that is a 3000 mile away opinion.

Greg Fretwell
R
Even if 230.70(A)(1) is not a problem, 230.72(A) may be. I would not consider a service disconnet on a different wall as being grouped with the other disconnect(s).

Don(resqcapt19)
E
Your AHJ may have a problem with 110.3 (B). You are tapping or altering a piece of listed equipment. The manufacturer of the equipment may void it’s listing if it is altered in anyway.

Regards,

Elec N Spec

G
110.3(B) can bite you in the butt.
If you modify the bus in the field, the UL Listing is no longer valid; even if the manufacturer blesses your method.
If you decide to go ahead, you should plan on paying UL for a field inspection to certify that the board retains its UL Listing. Otherwise the AHJ can turn down the whole job.

Ghost307
E
I have enforced this. That is why I brought it up.

Elec N Spec

Tom Offline
UL has specifically stated that unless the equipment is listed for a field tap using manufacturer supplied materials, then it would not be within the listing to tap the bus.

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
Last time I ran into a similar situation....a phone call to the Mfg. (CH), a field engineer arrived, looked, measured, sketched. 24 hours later I had Eng. signed/sealed drawings, and costs.

Came time to install, Factory Field guys came, fabricated a few extra bends, and made it work.
AHJ at site, looked, took copy of drawings & cert., left Approval sticker & cut-in card.

BTW, the overall $$$ was not that bad, considering what they did, plus the install.
John

PS: The same services are available from other mfg's, you just have to track down the right contacts.

John
B
bman Offline OP
Thanks for the input. I have a call into the inspector, should hear back in the morning, will let you know what he says.

E
Good luck. You gents are on the ball. I am seeing more and more non-listed equipment, fixtures and devices out in the field and some contractors have been hurt badly by basing their bids on equipment that they can’t use. Some time a real bargain can cost you more than what you were planning to save in the first place.
Regards,
Elec N Spec

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard