ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#16542 11/12/02 10:51 PM
S
I am bidding on a job where the homeowner is partitioning his garage off and putting in tanning booths. Since this is not a part of the living quarters of his house, does anyone know of any code speculation that would require the "spacing" of receptacles per code??? I'm pretty sure since it's not a living area that it would not be required. The owner just wants one installed in each room besides the circuit for the tanning bed.
Thanks.....Steve [Linked Image]

Sounds like a serious case of some "Zoning Violations" and you should not go any further until you are sure that this work and changes to the garage can be done according to the code in your area.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
S
The fact that you say booths does sound suspicious.

S
Did check with local inspection department. The Tanning booths are under "Home business" and is Zoned ok. Since it is not a part of the residential living space, spacing of recpt. does not have to be as other walls inside house. There are only 2 rooms and they are probably only 8ft. X 10ft. anyway and the tanning bed will take up one wall. Thanks for the input though, just wanted to be sure before I gave the customer a price....Steve [Linked Image]

M
sparkync,

Just for your info. I once was a service agent for a tanning bed company.

The tanning beds that I worked on required a voltage between 215 and 230 volts. Anything higher would void the warranty.

Usually this required a buck/booster transformer to be installed to get the voltage down from around the usual 240 volts.

S
master66, Yes when I looked at the spec the customer showed me, it mentioned that the buck boost transformer may be required, but it stated it's voltage was 240 volts, and anything other than this may have to be adjusted. I sure hope it don't, I forgot to check his voltage to see what it was, and I didn't figure the transformer in the price [Linked Image]
I may not get it anyway, I done gave him a price, and he had't got back to me; you know one of them that "don't want to spend no more than they have too". I've thought about just asking them "how much they want to pay me to do the job" [Linked Image]

Broom Pusher and
I worked on a Tanning Salon back in 1990 thru 94, first to install a branch circuit for a new "Stand-Up" unit, then over time upgrading the service, extending into another suite, hooking up normal "Lay-In" units and one "Hi-Intensity" unit (uses HID lamps instead of VHO Beryllium Fluorescent lamps), installing timer circuitry + controlls and a bunch of other things.

This Client specified running the units at a slightly higher than specified voltage, which would result in a better tan with lower UVA / UVB / UVC risks. Lamp age was reduced from the boost, so lamp maintenance was done much sooner and more frequently.

I installed quite a few boost transformers at this place!

For the few years I worked for that client, only 1 ballast needed replacement - which was on an older unit. Lamps operated fine - and output over time didn't have a drammatic loss or change (measured with both a normal light meter and UV meter).
Lamp ends became darkened as would normally, but cathodes did not fail.
Lamp holders remained unscorched too! (mainly due to upgrading all lamp holders with new higher quality ones when a new machine arrived and / or upgrades to existing older units).

Might have been just "good luck", but there was never any "Issues" [Linked Image]

Was not only a fun set of projects (different things to do and also the customers [Linked Image]...), but I sure learned a bunch of lighting related stuff (needed to dive into personal studies to properly specify, install and understand these machines).

Just my $0.02

Scott s.e.t.

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!

Link Copied to Clipboard