ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 225 guests, and 30 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
alaal #165555 06/30/07 01:19 AM
R
Hmm... "Slick Willies" ? I thought they derived from Arkansas ! How about a "Slick Hitlary" ? wink smile

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
alaal #165579 06/30/07 07:41 PM
L
LK Offline
Originally Posted by alaal
My thoughts were towards a small operation that wants to grow. Before I got my 1st state license, I did resi and service work with 2 full time and 1 part time employees. After licensing, I moved to the commercial market (where I had always worked for others) and things really took off. Within 2 years I had 20 full time employees and 1.5M in revenue. In Florida there are EC's and ER's. ER's are county licenses that are only good for a particular county, the EC is state wide. When you talk about the Tampa-St. Pete-Bradenton area, those are 3 seperate counties that require 3 seperate ER licenses or 1 EC license. I'm not interested in any slick willies just down from New York/New Jersey. I know several of them and they ain't worth pee.

"Within 2 years I had 20 full time employees and 1.5M in revenue."

With 20 employees, doing commercial electrical, your revenue in the worse case, bad economic area, with poor market conditions, should of been near 3 to 4M, before looking to expand you may want to take on a business guru as a partner.

alaal #165581 06/30/07 08:09 PM
R
Originally Posted by alaal

A secondary qualifying agent is not responsible for supervision of financial matters.

Well then, this qualifier would obviously be responsible to supervise the actual installation crews wouldn't he/she?

I can't understand why an individual that could qualify a business on their own would need a silent qualifying partner. If you were going to back the proposed company financially that would be a different story, but why would you need to be a secondary qualifier.

BTW, are you a native Floridian, you might want to be careful stereotyping others.

Roger

alaal #165646 07/02/07 08:13 AM
P
A couple of thoughts:
1. There's nothing wrong with expanding a business.
2. Every business exists to make a profit for the owner(s).
3. Sales have little to do with actual profits.
4. Small risk = small rewards.

That being said, there have been others who have been successfull. McBride, Fluor Daniel, etc. http://www.mcbrideelectric.com/about_branches.php

The problem is not finding people, it's finding trustworthy people. Each office would need someone who has some 'skin in the game'. Without financial ties, they'll rip you off like there's no tomorrow. I'd do a lot of research before investing your life's savings.
Your first team members should be a corporate or franchise lawyer and a CPA firm.
Best of luck.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard