ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#16536 11/12/02 10:35 PM
A
Had a request from a state fire marshall to install a rain guard over a panel room to keep the sprinklers from an overhead storage area away from the gear.

This is the first time I have had this request. I have always made sure my clearance is to the structural ceiling in panel rooms.

Can any inspectors shine some light for me.

#16537 11/13/02 05:35 PM
Arseegee:
IMHO, the space above electrical equipment is dedicated to the electrical equipment up to the structural ceiling.
From your description, am I correct that there is either a "rack" or a "room" above the gear, and that area is sprinklered??
If that's the case, then the gear is "clear" to the ceiling, but you have a potential water problem above the room. This should fall back to the building inspector, as to the compliance of the "storage area" above the gear. We have a lot of high cube warehouse buildings (40-50') ceilings, and we keep the gear clear up to the roof deck.
I had a few that installed pallet racking over the gear, and had sprinklers installed in the racking, the building official had them removed. (The tenant later re-installed the racks, sans sprinklers, and had a pallet fall on the gear) 'nother story.
John

John
#16538 11/13/02 07:14 PM
A
John, the equipment room is clear to ceiling but there is storage space adjacent to it above some other rooms. I guess you would call it a second story.

Since they have floored over the the ceiling joist for storage, they had to add sprinklers to the upper level. There is about a foot clearance from the second story knee wall to the bottom of the roof deck. This will allow the sprinklers to spray into the panel room.

Since there is no way to seal off the knee wall (bar joist, conduit, water pipe, etc.) I'm wondering how to solve the problem without violating the clearance rules.

[This message has been edited by arseegee (edited 11-13-2002).]

#16539 11/13/02 10:05 PM
Arseegee:
OK, now I know what you have.
I had/have a switchboard (4000 amp, 120/208) located in a basement in a large city. The gear is actually underneath the front sidewalk. THere is/was a severe seepage problem that could not be corrected by replacing the sidewalk, etc.

We had a "large" drip pan fabricated 6'x14' from sheetmetal. Installed it on the top of the switchboard (no conduits exit/enter thru the top, luckly). Had two 4" drain lines cut into the pan, routed to a floor drain. There are also two 5HP sump pumps in the gear room "just-in-case". So far the switchboard is bone dry.

You probably have conduits exiting thru the top of the gear.

Can the sprinkler contractor put a diversion head (directional control) at this location?

Lastly, how about checking if the "storage" area is legal with the building dept. The ultimate solution may be to remove the storage area and the sprinkler head. This may be the "financial" solution, by telling the owner how much it will cost to replace the gear if the head pops.

Keep me/us posted please!
John

John
#16540 11/13/02 10:38 PM
F
Hotline1,

i worked for a big university in your metro area and that install was common. Services under sidewalks and drip pans to catch the "sprinkler" water. More like the bum urine that ate its way through the sidewalk.

#16541 11/14/02 09:22 PM
See now, you had to say that; I have my guys convinced it's water...
Seriously, God only knows what flows thru the cracks.
BTW, it in the Journal Square Area of JC, damn close to the PATH tracks & Station to add to the mess.
John

John

Link Copied to Clipboard