ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
M
Hello everyone. I have a quick question. I have at work a 1200 amp buss that is fed with 500 mcm cables in 3" conduit. 3 cables per phase. This install was put in about 2 years ago by a contractor. Last week one of the wires all of a sudden went to ground between the tap box and the switch gear. My only theory is that it must of been nicked during the install, and as we loaded the buss over time it finally broke down. Would anyone agree with this theory. Now I have to pull out all 3 cables of the B phase which is 190 feet, 2 90's, and 2 30 degree offsets!! Any suggestions or tricks to make this easy. I do have a pull box right before the switch gear. I am not looking forward to this!! Any advise will help. I am going to rent a tugger!!!!

Never trust an electrician with no eyebrows!!
Cat Servant
A nick is possible. A defect in the wire is possible. Degradation over time is possible.

No point in trying to fix it ... cut to the chase, and replace ALL the conductors in that pipe,

T
twh Offline
Pull out all three cables of the B phase? Hopefully, they're not in the same conduit.

Anyway, if a conductor is pressed very hard against a wall of a box or edge of a conduit, it can compress the insulation to the point of failure.

My advice for the pull is to use lots of lube and get lots of help.

Hmm, maybe Scott/Electure can lend 'ya an elephant. laugh wink

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
B phase is bad? are you just saying that the center pipe is the problem ?.
..if this is in the slab pour some lube into the pipe at both ends..then pull only one cable at a time. pick a cable, serve on a clove hitch and several half hitches close to the pipe take the free end of the cable and make a loop in it to keep the rope from flying off..now the hard part.

someone will have to make sure the now looped cable stays looped, use an open, gloved, hand to do this, slowly put pressure on the pulling rope with the tugger, release the pressure, re-apply pressure, release ..until the cable starts to move..keep the loop closed..DO NOT STAND in front of the rope.be sure you are to the side ..pull the cable out as straight as possible. make sure that everyone involved is on the same page !

You may only need to rig the tugger once, after the first cable is out the others might just come out by hand

Tom
M
No, what I mean is the B phase in one of the pipes is shorted. I will have to pull all 3 cables out of the EMT.

Never trust an electrician with no eyebrows!!
Ok. so this run is above grade
try to put as much lube on the first wire you pull out, years ago we would use Ivory Snowflakes and a bit of water, but now that's frowned on

Tom

Link Copied to Clipboard