ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
E
Hi,

I just took the aptitude test today with local 48 here in portland, i was curious how long it took you guys such as how many times did you have to apply before you finally got in to the program?

Tony

M
well i came straight in from non union as an A Journeyman. but i know some apprentices who had to take the test twice. i also know some older guys who had to take it more than twice back when they were trying to get in years ago. but the reason i'm writing today is to say once you get in it is alot of hard work to stay in good standing. you can't miss any work because if you get fired as an apprentice you can get booted out of the union. same goes with the schoolwork- is you don't keep your grades up they can boot you out. i know a third year apprentice who just got booted out (of the union meaning he also lost his job) for failing a test when he was on probation for poor grades. of coarse he can appeal the decision. anyways, it does seem like a good program. good luck.

C
Cow Offline
I know a guy who applied in Portland. I'm pretty sure he was hired within a couple months, I think he's been in the program for a year now? Don't know how he ranked though. I, on the other hand applied to a few different programs union and nonunion. I had just finished my Portland union aptitude test, when I was offered a nonunion job in Eastern Oregon. They tell you that you're on the list 2 years, if you don't get a call, reapply. I didn't want to put all my eggs in one basket so I applied everywhere. Good luck.

Last edited by Cow; 06/20/07 10:31 PM.
L
I was interviewed during my senior year in highschool by a local EC. The interview went great and next thing I new I was going through an I.E.C apprenticeship.

Years later, after becoming a J/W I was 'salted' in the local IBEW here in Chattanooga. Since the IBEW is a five year program, and the I.E.C was only a four year apprenticeship I agreed to go through the locals app' programs 4th and 5th yr classes to gain accreditation and recognition.

I never had to tak a test to join the local. That was probably because I had my certificates from the state and IEC stating that I had successfully completed the required training.

Luke Clarke
Electrical Planner for TVA.

I
ITO Offline
The union never would let me in their program, but that was back when it was a country club and you had to know somebody who could get you in. Now they work for me; its funny how things work out some times.

Last edited by ITO; 06/21/07 10:18 AM.

101° Rx = + /_\
J
When I went to the railroad for a job in 1973 (Fatherinlaw and Motherinlaw both worked there) The guy that was doing the hiring asked me what I wanted to do. He caught me off gaurd. I told him I would do any job offered to me. "you don't know what you want to be" he asked. Again I replied the same.
So he started reading from a list of apprenticeship programs available. When he got to "electrical apprentice", I stopped him and said that was the one. The next day I took a physical. And that is where my career started. Got laid off in 1979, with the apprenticeship completed.
I then went to construction, industrial, and business side. It's been a good ride.
So my answer is two days.....LOL

U
From when I applied (no prior electrical experience), it was about 6 weeks later they called me to put me on a jobsite.

It was a Wednesday, they indentured me on the spot. I was going to work on Monday. They said I had up to 2 months to schedule and write the pre-test. I said I'd write it Friday so I didn't have to miss any work.

K
Interviwed at the Power Station

I kept the interviwers answering more questions than they asked me

27 Years later worked in most (not all) aspects of the electrical industry and still learning

der Großvater

Link Copied to Clipboard