ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Trumpy Offline OP
After 18 years of smoking, I've decided to kick the habit.
The missus and I are expecting a baby in 6 months and I don't want to expose a new arrival to the stuff that is in cigarettes.
I've been off the fags for 3 days and it feels awful, I'm having cold flushes like you wouldn't believe.
I went cold turkey, I was not willing to waste money with patches and other things, most people that I've known that have tried these things have taken up smoking again.
If I'm giving up, I want to do this once and once only.
I want my kid to be in a smoke free environment, unlike me when I was growing up in the 1970's.

I
Good luck Mike. smile

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
R
I quit 4 years ago after 30 years of being a slave to them.

I went the Wellbutrin route. The hardest thing for me was breaking the routines of when I would normally light up i.e. getting in my truck in the morning, leaving a meeting, after eating, etc... but after about a week it started getting easier.

Good Luck Mike

Roger

M
I quit cold turkey 4 years ago, but I still find myself having a puff or two when I have a few cocktails. So I guess I still technically smoke, even if it's only a pack every two or three months.

Last edited by Mountain Electrician; 06/17/07 08:58 AM.
L
Hey Mike,

I quit back in 01' cold turkey. That was only after trying other techniques like the patch, or 'cutting back' stair step methods. The patch will make your heart rate skyrocket also btw.

It was extremely difficult the first two months. Even up to this day I still crave a cigarette every now and then. I'm not sure if the addiction ever goes away. You just have to be strong and tell yourself NO, when the cravings start.

Oh, and I went through alot of sunflower seeds during the first year, and gum too. Prolong your life Mike, you can do it!

Luke Clarke
Electrical Planner for TVA.

Tom Offline
I quit in 2000 after about 30 years of setting fire to my hard earned money. I used the patches for about a week, then quit those too.

You're doing the right thing for some very good reasons which will help you in the long run.

Good luck & keep us posted, both about the quitting and when the baby arrives.

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
J
Good luck quitting Mike! I used to beg my little girl's mom not to smoke around her but would come home to see a layering effect of smoke above her. Definately not good for little lungs.

Recently, I've heard alot about "Laser Concepts", being an effective means to quitting. Has anyone here heard good or bad feedback on them? I would be willing to spring for it for my little girl's bio-folks if I thought it had half a chance of working.
Joe

G
My wife quit cigarettes about 8-10 years ago but she is still hooked on the gum. We buy it from New Zealand, 2500 pieces at a time.
I predict some day there will be a whole generation of gum addicts that never smoked. This used to be like ground up cigarette buts and silly putty but the new stuff is actually just nicotine laced peppermint gum. Can bubble gum be far behind? Maybe with baseball cards inside? Bear in mind the original cards came with cigarettes.

Greg Fretwell
E
e57 Offline
I too am an expectant father to be, (mid-August) and trying to quit, cutting down before I pull the plug. Getting below a pack a day has been hard enough, the next month is going to be interesting as I get to the last day. (8-01-07) At that point I may just hand-cuff myself in a room - seriously.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
R
I had set up my target day for April 1, so at 9:30 PM on March 31 2003, I got up out of my chair on my porch (hadn't smoked in the house for years) and smashed the remaining cigarettes in my hand then threw them in the trash can.

After being a 1.5 to 2 pack a day smoker, I really didn't think I would make it, but 4 years later I haven't touched one.

You guys can do it.

Roger

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard