ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#165005 06/16/07 01:48 PM
S
Sixer Offline OP
...done some wiring where after it was completed you've second-guessed yourself....even years later?

I confess that about 10 years ago I did a panel change where the old panel didn't have a main breaker (it was a 100 amp panel). The new panel had a 100 amp main, and a long time after it was installed I started thinking that possibly the feeders were #4 (good for 85 amps) and not the #3 that I thought they were. The era of this home is making me think that it was a 70 amp service as I've since discovered that size of service was very common in that time. Now I always use my wire mike to verify the size if I'm unsure.

To this day I've sometimes wondered if I did that job correct. At least now the panel does have a main breaker although it may be oversized by 15 amps. With the size of the home and the loads connected, I'm confident that it won't exceed the rating of the main feeders. BTW, the house is still standing laugh

Just wondering if any of you have ever done some wiring and second-guessed yourselves after the fact? Would be interested in your responses.

Sixer

"Will it be cheaper if I drill the holes for you?"
Z
I'm sure we all have some skeletons in our respective closets.

Except for me... I never make mistakes smile

S
Sixer Offline OP
I was hoping to catch you on a spelling error there Zapped laugh

Sixer

"Will it be cheaper if I drill the holes for you?"
B
We are allowed to use #4 cu for residential 100 amp feeders (from 310.15(B)(6) to the main panel or to a sub panel, as long as it is a lighting and appliance panel, not to a shop or a tankless water heater etc. Of course I am not in Canada.

Z
lol sixer...

E
e57 Offline
Originally Posted by Sixer
...done some wiring where after it was completed you've second-guessed yourself....even years later?

Sure, all those "do what you're told" moments, the times it was said to you, and the times you said it... Mean someone was questioning something... I think I man enough to listen, (Sometimes) and I'm sure when I was under someone else they gave some thought to the question at hand.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason

Link Copied to Clipboard