ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 205 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#16509 11/13/02 05:14 PM
Bill:
As Harold indicated we perform CCO inspections on changes of occupancy for resi & commercial.
It consists of a visual inspection, basically looking for unsafe wiring that is "visable". I check electrical, and other inspectors check building, fire, plumbing, etc.
Any violations noted require repair, with the proper permits (homeowner allowed IF they live in house; commercial requires a lic. EC.
If the property passes the visuals they get a CCO (Continued Certificate of Occupancy)

As to "fished" work, we prefer to inspect it "rough" (before devices are installed) and final. But, sometimes it's only "Final".
I've had a few that needed the "sheetrock busters" but that is not a prevelant thing.
Most contractors, and owners understand the UCC rules.
John

John
#16510 11/13/02 05:26 PM
Down here (over/up here?) it's been common for a long time for people to ignore permits and inspections until it's time to sell. This way they avoid paying taxes on these improvements and just get a 'survey' or 'closed wall' inspection when they have to. Some jurisdictions have been getting tough on this lately though. I have not seen any problems firsthand yet though, I do expect to see some eventually if they are serious about it.

Bill

Bill
#16511 11/13/02 06:42 PM
M
mj Offline
the rough -in is required, before the walls are up here in mississippi

#16512 11/14/02 07:56 PM
N
In NE our state electrical act says that the inspector will inspect the "rough in" with the walls open and who ever closes up the walls before the rough in will pay for the drywall to be removed for inspection and the reinstallation of the drywall. Those who try to play the game of going to court to hurry the job up get power removed untill the open wall inspection is done. All written into state law. Those who (anyone not just the sparky) wilfully violates the state electrical act can be charged with a class one misdemenor. Class one misdemenor has $1000.00 fine and/or 1 year in jail or both.

Now if only the DA would push it a little, a lot of generals/owners would quite screaming about the schedules so much.

ed
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard