ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (gfretwell, Scott35), 262 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#164870 06/13/07 11:11 AM
N
nyerinf Offline OP
I'm an electrician by trade, but ive done some low voltage work before, anyway I'm trying to figure out patch panels and am having some trouble. If I have an office space with say 4 ports on each data plate, one data, one voice, one fax and one spare port. If for each of these I ran a cat 5e homerun back to the telcom room CAN I tie all 4 of these into the patch panel or MUST the voice/fax get a seperate punchdown block? and can I put an RJ45 connector on them to the front of the patch panel or do they get punched down internally like a 110 block? and if not what exactly would be plugged into the front of the patch panel? like where does the incomming feed get tied into? sorry if theres a lot of questions but I dont want to sub this type of thing out when I know I'd be able to do it myself, any help for these questions or anything else you guys think I should know to install a patch panel would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

E
In general, only cables used for data are terminated on patch panels. The other cables are usually terminated on 66 or 110 blocks. Phone technicians really don't like it when patch panels are used for voice circuits since most phone systems don't use plug-cord connections. They would have to make an unneccessary transition from hard-wired terminations to plug-ended cables; just something else that can fail or cause more work.

Now, if you are sure that a VOIP phone system is being installed, then you probably should terminate the voice cables on patch panels as well. You'll need to find this out from the customer before you begin. Regardless, cables for fax or other uses still should be terminated on 66 or 110 blocks.

Typical patch panels (unless you order them differently) are equipped with built-in 110 blocks on the back side. The data cables are simply punched down on them directly.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."

Link Copied to Clipboard