ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (Scott35, ampherder), 267 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#164502 06/04/07 07:45 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Here are two Photos, i shot on San Andres, a pretty little isla near Columbia in the caribian sea.

At first, look at the very impressive "mounting" of the Transformer It is not mounted on the Plate by any screws at all, there are only two wires, attached to the poles wich should apparently hold it in place if an earthquake or something may appear *G*

second, the outgoing 5(!) Lines seems to be remarkable. The Transformer is connected neutral on top line and the three phases on the lower three lines, so what is the 5th line good for?

Third: the use of something, what we call here in Germany "Kabelklemme"
(maybe Cable Gland in your Language) seems to be a foreign word there.

Regards
Herrmann

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

T
On the left side of the pole, it looks like there is a thin wire jumping between the 2nd and third wires. (unknown wire + X phase). On the right, I don't see anything connected to the 2nd wire.

Could it possibly be something as mundane as master control for street lighting?

T
Probably not even a control but simply a switched phase. I've seen that setup in several countries like Greece and the Czech Republic.

I wonder how that street light works... only one wire seems to be connected!

Y
Originally Posted by Texas_Ranger
I wonder how that street light works... only one wire seems to be connected!

I think I see two wires there. It is hard to see how they are connected, though.

N
It looks like the light has a 2-conductor cable coming from the bottom of the conduit. The two wires are separated out in line with the support bracket for the xfmr, where they appear to be connected to the lower two wires heading left. Hard to tell with that rats-nest...

E
Did anybody notice that the cutouts are open on the feeders going into the "conduit" (I use that term loosely)? Wonder what that's all about.

Then, we have the question of what appears to be a telephone or CATV cable actually crossing through that mess.

Their workmanship sure makes me appreciate the way we do things here for sure.

This is more like it:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by pauluk; 06/13/07 07:45 AM. Reason: Image copied to ECN server

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
C
It appears they loosely follow some type of international standard. It definitely isn't the American one though.

Peter
3 Wire Primary? I don't see many of those on single phase systems, not around here anyway.

There are 10 types of people. Those who know binary, and those who don't.
Originally Posted by Radar
3 Wire Primary? I don't see many of those on single phase systems, not around here anyway.

It would appear to be 3-phase service, as denoted by the "Z, Y, X" on the secondary bushings.

P
In a lot of countries 3-phase is used much more extensively than in the U.S. right down to local distribution.

Even here in the U.K. where we're kind of between the U.S. and Europe in this regard, single-phase HV spurs and transformers are only found feeding very small collections of houses.

As soon as you get to anywhere of any size (even a small village) you'll find xfmrs feeding a 3-ph 4-w 240/415V wye network with each house then just tapped from one phase and neutral.

You only have to hop over the Channel as far as France to see 3-phase services even in very small houses.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard