ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#164814 06/11/07 09:20 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Howdy folks. Just checking in with a few from a troubleshooting call I just went on.

Homeowner says he lost power to front half of house on 1st floor and basement, and the breaker won't reset. He bought the house a few months ago with the basement already finished.

Worked my way out from the panel after verifying there was nothing plugged in. While following the troublesome red 12 stranded, I found the following curiosities:

- DougW

[Linked Image]
- remodeling at its finest. Note the cautious approach to the live conductors passing through the knockout...

[Linked Image]
- Hmm - must've not used long enough screws. Remove cover and

[Linked Image]
- Nope.. screws holding the outlet in are tight. Just no screws holding the box to anything

[Linked Image]
- The two bx runs to the top are fine... they must have run out of fittings or time.

[Linked Image]
- Remodel put the plaster ring behind the drywall. What to do? I know... use 1/4-20 machine nuts as spacers! So what if the hit the terminals and ground out later when someone takes the outlet out...

[Linked Image]
- Hey... the wire's in there...

[Linked Image]
- I think we're getting closer to the source of our problem. The next box upstream the red had joined 2 other 12's feeding the dining room. In this box, if joins two other 12s feeding the living room, and a pair of 14's that go to points beyond.

[Linked Image]
- Houston, we found your problem...

Oh, and the breaker that wouldn't reset? It was a 30 amp. Closer examination revealed that the wire feeding that branch circuit wire had burned insulation for the 1st few inches. It had been covered by electrical tape by the homeonwer, who had seen the bare copper and decided that that probably wasn't good.

- DougW

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Admin #164815 06/11/07 09:41 PM
H
Good lord! shocked

Cliff
E
You didn't tell us you were planning on visiting Mexico! That's the norm there, in fact it's a bit better than the norm.

By the way, I can't make out the last picture. Do I want to know what it is?

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
That last pic is the remains of a melted wire nut and some burned wires, looks like from the soot on the cover (or is it a lamp canopy?) that there was a LOT of arcing going on.

To DougW: Where was the few inches of burned wire that the H/O taped up located? In this last box?

Stupid should be painful.
D
MX-

The burned wire (#12 Cu stranded) was actually at the panel side of the circuit - I replaced the run between the panel and the next box in line.

He told me he didn't know exactly what caused it, but that bare wire in the panel wasn't a good thing, so he taped it up then called one of my customers, who gave him my #.

As I told the H.O. and his wife - the last time I saw more evidence of fire, I showed up at the house on the BRT (Big Red Truck) with a hose in my hand.

Told them that, while I'm not a religious kind of guy, somebody was definitely watching out for them.

Link Copied to Clipboard