ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 262 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#164558 06/06/07 08:12 AM
P
pauluk Offline OP
Saw this on the outside of a diner. It's a retro-styled place with red and blue neons all around and polished stainless steel sides.

The shape of the steel walls makes fitting things a little awkward, but I'm sure this could have been done better. There are several weatherproof outlets installed around the outside of building in the same way:

[Linked Image]

This is right by the beach of a seaside town, alongside the pier, kiddies playground, and so on. There's a central CCTV monitoring building close by which appears to provide surveillance for the whole area. As far as I can make out, these are the CCTV cables which run from the diner back to the central building a few yards away:

[Linked Image]

This blow-up from a different angle emphasizes how from the mast to the point of entry the cables are just hanging loose:

[Linked Image]

Click here to see a large overall picture of the place, cameras visible mounted on the roof.

Last edited by pauluk; 06/06/07 08:23 AM. Reason: Added last picture
E
Paul: I always enjoy your pics!

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
Paul:
Sure looks like one of our famous "Jersey Diners"! Stainless steel, neon,neon & more neon, chrome, vinyl stools at the formica counter!

Lately, granite counter, plush seating, & menu's that rival a lot of resturants.

Sadly, a lot of them are no longer with us, I remember a few that were sold & transported to Germany & somewhere else in Europe.

BTW, IF anyone installed cabling like that here (at a diner) it would not be there long. Diners are a favorite stop for ALL AHJ's here!!

Take care, stay safe

John

John
T
That ice cream company seems to be universal in Europe... in Germany it's named Langnese, in Austria Eskimo, In Italy and the Czech Republic Algida,... in the picture it looks like "Wally" or "Wall's"...

P
pauluk Offline OP
Sure looks like one of our famous "Jersey Diners"! Stainless steel, neon,neon & more neon, chrome, vinyl stools at the formica counter!

Yep, this is a somewhat unusual place for England, but it just screams "Retro-American" to everybody. And I could hear real rock'n'roll drifting out the door -- I mean proper 1950s rock, not the modern garbage they try to call rock that isn't! (Although they were playing British rock'n'roll at the time I took the photos -- Tommy Steele for those who know who he is.)

I must go down there to have a meal sometime and try the place properly. smile

in the picture it looks like "Wally" or "Wall's"...

It's the latter. Wall's ice cream has been a favorite here for decades.

http://www.walls.co.uk/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wall's_ice_cream

S
What exactly is the problem with the masterseal socket in the first picture, apart from the SWA cables being a bit drunk, thats the way most sparks would do it. How else would you make 2 20mm glands off into one 20mm knockout without affecting the IP Rating. The box is sealed and has a gasket by the looks of it , so is fine and as its a single socket must be protected by an RCD inside the premises so no shock risk there.

Nick

K
Originally Posted by sparkydudeuk
What exactly is the problem with the masterseal socket in the first picture, apart from the SWA cables being a bit drunk, thats the way most sparks would do it. How else would you make 2 20mm glands off into one 20mm knockout without affecting the IP Rating. The box is sealed and has a gasket by the looks of it , so is fine and as its a single socket must be protected by an RCD inside the premises so no shock risk there.

Nick

I would say the galvi box underneath may not sealed with a gasket (cant see without inspecting closer)
SWA presents a potential trip hazard (should be secured against building) Just my oppinion.

der Großvater
Originally Posted by Texas_Ranger
That ice cream company seems to be universal in Europe... in Germany it's named Langnese, in Austria Eskimo, In Italy and the Czech Republic Algida,... in the picture it looks like "Wally" or "Wall's"...

The logo is the same as Good Humor (US), whose parent company is Unilever, which owns a number of ice cream and food brands worldwide.

T
Unilever does explain a lot...

No wonder it all tastes like soap!
Walls make sausages too. Paul, do you remember Prince, the dog that said 'sausages' on the 'Thats Life' tv show?
[ He's on youtube,BTW, search Google. ]
He got a contract from Walls to advertise their products on tv!
Today, of course, they'd lip sinc. any old mutt for the job.
It's a wonder Unilever didn't sign up the 'That's Life' dog that did the dish washing too, to promote Fairly Liquid! laugh

Alan

Wood work but can't!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard